About the opportunity
Contentful is seeking a Design Director who can help us continue to positively evolve the Product Design team as we navigate scale-up growth. Lead and inspire a high-performing team of product designers and managers working within delivery teams across multiple product areas in an embedded design, cross-functional team model. You should possess strong design, communication and leadership skills and have a proven track record of building excellence, quality and process in the discipline. The ideal candidate will have strong people management skills, organisational design experience, as well as accomplished systems, interaction, and UX design credentials. The Contentful Product Design culture is emphasises elevating design quality and efficacy in an evidence-based product culture, so our new Design Director should help us make progress in that ongoing evolution.
What to expect?
- Support design managers to scale the design practice during our scale-up growth phase
- Attract and retain a diverse team of highly talented design leaders with a well-balanced range across purposefully chosen skill sets.
- Evolve a thriving culture where designers grow in their careers and feel a strong sense of belonging.
- Drive design vision
- Partner closely with senior leadership in developing a winning strategy to achieve our mission
- Foster collaboration and understanding across the company
- Help to create alignment with product and engineering on priorities leading to product design and execution
- Partner closely with a world-class team of product managers, designers, engineers, user experience researchers, and data analysts to deliver high quality experiences for different user persona and product tiers.
- Set quality standards and implement process improvements to support them
What you need to be successful?
- 12+ years of total design experience,
- 6+ years of those leading direct reports
- Significant experience in leading multiple teams and initiatives simultaneously
- A track record of conceptualizing and shipping successful SaaS products
- The ability to lead complex design topics, scaling your presence from clearly communicating a design vision to addressing project or organizational issues
- An informed set of design principles from shipping and learning throughout your career, and a demonstrated ability to operate from a first-principles perspective
- A deep understanding of human-centered design practices, how to leverage product design to solve complex business problems, and digital product development (consumer research, engineering, and data)
- Senior people management, team development, recruiting and org building experience
- Experience building relationships with leadership across the organization (with marketing, sales, customer experience, etc.), and comfortable influencing strategic decisions
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products.
- We set you up for success, equipping you with the latest and greatest hardware
- Enjoy a full range of events, including workshops, Contentful-hosted meetups, guest speakers and team activities. Meet your team members from across the globe at our annual offsite.
- Get fit! We offer a variety of health and fitness classes and a discount on Urban Sports Club.
- We value our employees health and safety. Our teams are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Plus, Contentful socks! Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful powers digital experiences for 28% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our content platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Co-op, Spotify, Bang&Olufson, N26, Swarovski use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and are backed by over $150 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms like Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 400 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” — is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby acknowledge and accept the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal data as described therein.