Established in 1998, Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell and service their cars. With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country. Change is in our DNA, and 2017 has been no exception! We've moved to a new Chicago HQ @ 300 S. Riverside, acquired DealerRater, the largest online ratings platform for car dealerships and became a free-standing, publicly traded company on the NYSE!
A true constant through the years has been the incredible culture we've created. Our employees have cultivated an environment leveraging technology, fostering innovation and embracing collaboration. We take pride in how Cars.com empowers our people to win and gain valuable experiences along the way!
We are looking for a passionate, collaborative, forward thinking Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager to join us as we grow and thrive in the next stage of our evolution.
This individual will be a critical member of the Acquisition Marketing team and will serve as a champion to the growth of this channel in terms of high quality traffic and conversion. The Search Engine Marketing Manager will be responsible for planning, optimizing, implementing and analyzing paid search engine marketing activities. This position is key to future growth and will be responsible for the management of Cars.com pay-per-click (PPC) activities on Google, Yahoo and Bing. This position is based in Chicago and reports to the Senior Manager, Acquisition Marketing.
The ideal candidate must possess a keen understanding of the online space with B2C experience and a strong background in pay-per-click (PPC) management. This role requires the ability to operate on both a strategic and tactical level, touching all aspects of the search marketing roadmap including keyword management, creation of campaign messaging, bidding strategies, creative testing, and analytics.
- Act as a strong business manager of the search engine marketing channel. Manage effectiveness of the channel by tracking, reporting, and analyzing all PPC initiatives and campaigns; responsible for forecasting and budgeting of channel to align against traffic and lead generation goals.
- Manage the day-to-day search marketing activities across multiple search engines including the campaign planning, implementation, budget management, performance review, and optimization of paid search campaigns.
- Responsibilities include keyword research (discovery and expansion), review and editing of creative copy (titles and descriptions), review and analysis of website performance metrics, and optimization of campaigns.
- Grow and optimize the keywords portfolio through testing with ad copy, landing pages, bidding strategies, day-parting, etc.
- Develop near and long-term PPC account strategies/roadmaps and execute day-to-day tactics that increase site traffic, leads and exposure.
- Identify and report on key performance indicators, and opportunities for improvement on a regular basis.
- Drive continued innovation and best practice implementation, regularly sharing knowledge with the marketing team, SEO team, the product development team and top executives.
- Stay current with new advances in search engine marketing/optimization and the competitive landscape.
- Be proactive in looking for expansion/optimization opportunities on a daily basis including audience development and segmentation for optimal performance. This role requires someone who thrives on finding ways to constantly improve the programs by looking for new ways to enhance performance.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Marketing Degree preferred
- 5-7 years of relevant experience managing paid search programs for well-established online websites
- Experience in driving leads/sales for websites with large inventory/listings
- SEO, display advertising, social/native PPC management, email marketing experience a plus
- Requires hands-on knowledge of best practices in SEM and a proven track-record of delivering qualified traffic from both an acquisition and conversion standpoint
- Exceptional copy writing and editorial skills
- Strong analytical skills with ability to drive meaningful actions from large data sets
- Proficiency in MS Office - especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Fundamental knowledge and experience with web analytical tools and interfaces ( i.e. Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics) is required
- Experience in writing simple scripts and work with database queries a plus
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- An organized individual with great attention to detail and focus on quality of results
- A self-motivated individual; a good team player