Cars.com Inc. (CARS) is seeking a Director of Communications who is a strong leader and strategic thinker responsible for developing and overseeing the goals, strategic initiatives and execution of related tactics for both internal and external communications including corporate communications, executive communications, thought leadership, industry advocacy and policy, and Diversity & Inclusion efforts as it relates to industry and community relations. They will be responsible for the implementation of communications plans, initiatives and programs that help enhance the CARS family of brands with consumers, customers, media, employees, investors and other relevant stakeholders.
This position must maintain strong internal relationships across departments to stay current on business initiatives, growing trends and company news. In this role, they must protect and enhance the corporate reputation of CARS while developing and activating the CARS story and ensuring brand/messaging consistency across channels.
The ideal candidate is a senior-level communications professional with proven, hands-on experience at the corporate level. The candidate should have excellent written and verbal communications skills and a proven ability to work independently and remotely, consistently make sound judgments, engage and build trust with senior executives and effectively collaborate with others while delivering measurable results. This person should have hands-on experience in at least two of the following communications disciplines such as: Corporate Communications, Public/Media Relations, Financial Communications, Internal Communications, Investor Relations, Community Relations, Industry Relations, Diversity & Inclusion. This person will report to the Senior Director of Communications.
- Develop and execute integrated, cross-functional communications plans and strategies that will enhance the brand awareness and reputation of CARS in the eyes of consumers, our partners, the industries with which we reside, and our stakeholders.
- Initiate programs and events (e.g. press and influencer events) that keep CARS, its leaders and spokespeople, top of mind with the media, consumers, our partners and other company stakeholders.
- Advise executive team and other company spokespeople on relevant and timely narratives and messaging.
- Develop and execute CARS Diversity & Inclusion strategy from an industry relations and community relations perspective, partnering with necessary stakeholders. This includes building partnerships with minority leader groups within our industry and the communities where we live and work.
- Build strategy around CARS policy efforts and work with government relations colleagues to deliver promotional/educational campaigns around our industry efforts.
- Work in tight coordination with cross functional team leaders in Sales, Marketing, Product, Technology, Finance, Legal, IR and HR to identify news opportunities and ensure messaging, programs, events and campaigns are aligned.
- Identify and activate on data-driven trends and compelling company stories that have the potential to move the needle with core stakeholders.
- Develop opportunities for speaking and other engagements for executive leaders and core spokespeople at conferences and events that elevate our reputation within the automotive, technology and advertising industries.
- Hands on execution of executive communications and thought leadership, public relations campaigns, internal communications campaigns, investor and analyst communications and more.
- Build and expand relationships with key top tier media outlets that help influence our external story.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional presentation development skills, including PowerPoint and Google Slides
- Excellent relationship building and management skills
- Strategic thinker with superior problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to identify and analyze data-driven news stories
- Resourcefulness, creativity, flexibility, enthusiasm and passion for excellence
- Experience with Cision, PR Newswire and other media tools
- Able to comfortably and authoritatively interact with and advise senior and C-level executives
- Strong “teamwork” orientation, ability to collaborate across many diverse groups, including internal and external audiences, sales, marketing, training, and technology
- Social media skills strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum 10+ years leading communications strategies
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status