This Product Manager position will be in Cars.com’s Santa Monica office, which focuses on generating new car leads for franchise automotive dealers through our two websites: NewCars.com and CarPriceSecrets.com. In addition to these two sites, you will be responsible for supporting our B2B product – NewLeadsPlus – and you may also be asked to provide product management support to our sister website – Auto.com.
One thing is certain – in a small office, you wear many hats. So, we’re looking for a team player – someone willing to jump in and do whatever we need to move the business forward. In return, you’ll get to work in a great office in downtown Santa Monica with a highly-motivated team of people.
- Identify opportunities for increasing profits and improving the consumer experience with new website features.
- Define and execute A/B and multivariate tests on our sites to optimize conversion; learn and use the testing provider’s testing tools; provide reporting on the results of the tests and recommendations for next steps.
- Collect and understand business goals and customer needs; propose website enhancements to meet those needs; build basic business cases to support your proposals.
- Help to set project priorities, based on your understanding of the business impact of proposed projects.
- Manage projects, take full ownership and responsibility for the successful development lifecycle of those projects.
- Work with Development to understand feasibility and level of effort for projects; make reasonable trade-offs on requirements based on feedback.
- Write detailed functional requirements documents and create wireframes to support your requirements.
- Collaborate with the designers, who will build mockups from your wireframes.
- Conduct user acceptance testing upon completion of development, prior to formal QA testing.
- Collaborate with the Search Engine Marketing team to ensure tight connections between SEM ad campaigns and corresponding landing pages.
- Be a watchdog for search engine optimization (SEO), ensuring that our sites adhere to known best practices.
- Understand the NewLeadsPlus product, and work with Sales, Sales Communications, Marketing, Operations, Customer Support and other teams to promote and maintain the product.
- Support the internal tools that we’ve developed for the Cars.com Sales team to use when selling NewLeadsPlus.
- Work with the Email Marketing team to continually refine our company’s efforts at collecting vehicle and dealer reviews.
- Write compelling content for the websites and outbound emails.
- Define overall product strategy and prioritize roadmap
- Be a product champion – own your ideas and be able to sell them to the rest of the organization.
- Act as the voice of the consumer – ensure we always deliver a great user experience.
- Make appropriate business decisions affecting the product’s success.
- Work closely with other departments (Design, Development, DevOps and QA) to ensure that site projects are completed in a timely manner, with consistent high-quality.
Customer Service and Support
- Review incoming customer feedback emails and respond where appropriate; identify and address potential site issues.
- Assist Operations with the resolution of any other product issues reported by dealers, sale reps, or consumers.
- Define and monitor key site performance metrics using Omniture/Google Analytics, and pro-actively take action to improve them.
- Publish monthly reports on usage of our tools and make recommendations on how to improve usage.
- Publish monthly reports on vehicle review coverage.
- Problem-solving: able to determine the root cause of a problem by collecting and analyzing data / research, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions; able to identify a variety of creative solutions, quickly analyze the feasibility and business impact of these solutions, and recommend the best course of action.
- User-experience: able to design web site pages and flows that compel the user to act, with little confusion or distraction.
- Project and time management skills: able to juggle many tasks without letting anything fall through the cracks; able to stay focused on the top priorities; able to keep projects on track by identifying and removing obstacles.
- Writing: able to write highly-detailed, unambiguous and complete functional requirements documents; able to write compelling site content, including headlines, calls to action, buttons, etc.; able to communicate clearly and precisely via email and IM.
- Verbal communication: able to lead meetings, confidently make presentations to the company, convincingly represent ideas, and articulate the soundness of the logic behind decisions.
- Active listening: able to listen to questions or concerns and ask questions to clarify understanding before taking action.
- Business acuity: able to balance business priorities with own priorities.
- Self-motivated: able to take initiative from start to completion.
- Patience and flexibility: able to “roll with the punches” and adapt to changing business priorities.
- Knowledge of the automotive industry and an interest in new cars is a huge plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Engineering or Business; MBA a plus.
- 3-4 years of online product management experience (or equivalent) required.
- Experience with online lead generation companies is preferred.
- Experience with Agile methodologies is preferred.