Cars.com is a leading online destination that offers information from experts and consumers to help car shoppers and owners buy, sell and service their vehicles. With more than 30 million monthly visits to its web properties, Cars.com offers millions of new and used vehicle listings, reviews, unbiased editorial content, and a wide range of shopping tools. Despite being a nearly 20-year-old company, Cars.com has maintained its startup culture as a fun, fast-paced environment with highly-engaged employees who are committed to constant innovation. Cars.com’s growing workforce also enjoys a good work/life balance, career stability, strong resources, growth and career development opportunities, health and wellness programs, an attractive compensation and benefits package, work from home options, flex hours and more. Cars.com has been—and will continue to be—a great place to work.
Cars.com is seeking a Finance Manager to join a team responsible for developing the long-range strategic plans for the business, forecasting our financial results, analyzing the financial impacts of our business decisions, and playing a critical role in influencing all areas of the business. From creating compensation plans to allocating our marketing mix, the Cars.com Financial Planning & Analysis team plays a critical role in Cars.com’s success. At Cars.com, Finance plays an important role in nearly every aspect of the business.
- Managing one or more financial analysts or associates
- Preparing the annual budget, working in partnership with functional VPs and Directors
- Forecasting 12-month business results (rolling forecast)
- Variance analysis – comparing actual results to budget, forecast and prior year and providing insightful explanations and recommendations
- Presenting financial reporting to senior management, including analysis of current period results compared to budget and forecast
- Ad hoc reports and analysis, as needed by the FP&A team and as requested by the functional VPs being supported
Required Skills & Competencies
Our most successful team members have the following characteristics and skills:
- Intellectual curiosity – a passion for understanding ‘why’; interest in new experiences and learning new things
- Focus on accuracy, including
- Good sense of thoroughness – can be trusted to produce mistake-free work most of the time
- Good process for quality-assuring work before sharing with customers and others
- Financial acumen, including
- Transforming financial information into business intelligence through analysis and integration of quantitative and qualitative information
- Learning on the fly. You’ll need to figure a lot of things out on your own. Our most successful employees are resourceful and know how to learn from others.
- Tech-savvy. Our best performers have a strong knowledge of MS Office, including intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Experience with Cognos/TM1 or similar budgeting/analysis tools a plus.
- An inherent desire to improve and streamline processes.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts, including knowledge of balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Ability to communicate clearly and confidently with all levels and functions of the organization. Whether they’re working with a peer or giving a presentation to the President of Cars.com, our employees demonstrate confidence.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workflow. Because the FP&A team is so tightly connected to the business, we often have competing priorities – we may need to meet a deadline for our functional VP while also supporting the Cars.com CFO’s request.
The ideal candidate will be team-oriented and will have the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Master’s Degree or CPA preferred.
- 7-12 years of experience in accounting or finance, including relevant experience with financial planning and analysis.