Job: Sustainable Sourcing Manager
Every day, Braskem’s 8,000 team members work to improve people’s lives by creating sustainable solutions through chemicals and plastics. In alignment with our commitment to a circular economy, we focus our global sustainable strategy in three key areas: sustainable processes to reduce waste; an innovative product portfolio; and solutions to support our clients and communities.
We pride ourselves on a culture that promotes diversity and inclusivity (D&I) encouraging its team members to be who they are, following the motto: “You are free to be you.” This mindset adds value to the organization by unlocking untapped potential. Braskem promotes collaborative behaviors that encourage new ideas and different perspectives. As a global organization, Braskem offers competitive employee benefits such as parental leave and educational reimbursement. We strongly encourage people with all different backgrounds and experiences, of all races and ethnicities, abilities, and people from the LGBTQIA+ community, to apply.
Braskem America is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Braskem S.A. headquartered in Philadelphia. The company is the leading producer of polypropylene in the United States, with six production plants located in Texas, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, an Innovation and Technology Center in Pittsburgh, and a new operation in Boston focused on leveraging groundbreaking developments in biotechnology and advanced materials. For more information, visit www.braskem.com/usa.
Department: Circular Economy & Sustainability
Location: Philadelphia, PA (near other Braskem locations may be considered)
Travel Involved: 15-25%
Job Type: Full-Time
Sustainable Sourcing Manager is responsible for the on-going market assessment and development of supply strategies in coordination with the Circular Economy & Sustainability Director, Circular Economy Business Development Manager(s) and O&P (US Polypropylene) Team. The position is also responsible for supplier and product qualification and contract negotiations. The Sustainable Sourcing Manager must effectively develop and manage supply relationships to secure materials that match the business’ needs for quantity and quality of sustainable materials in order to meet Braskem’s global sustainable development goals, which include growth of a recycled products portfolio. The Sustainable Sourcing Manager will be the subject matter expert for Braskem on recycling markets and utilizes relationships and market information to help Braskem define Circular Economy growth strategies and represents Braskem in industry forums related to growth of the U.S. recycling infrastructure.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Manages all commercial relationships with recyclers, including existing suppliers and potential new partners for upcoming projects
- Responsible for negotiation and execution of profitable spot and long term contracts to drive execution of Braskem’s sustainable development strategy, which includes the development of products with recycled content and global targets of 300 kt/year by 2025 and 1 MM tons/year by 2030.
- Builds and executes strategy for Braskem to create value for recycled material, including but not limited to:
- Increase the quantity and quality of available recycled material, aligned with Commercial product development requirements
- Work alongside Supply Chain area to develop and validate logistics and distribution strategies for recycled material programs
- Identify and develop available sources of recycled material and work with technical teams to qualify materials for Braskem use
- Global coordination on approaches and effectiveness of various business models
- Responsible for monitoring and understanding various recycled material market prices, including but not limited to price indices like post-consumer bale markers, which requires an in depth knowledge of the recycled market supply/demand dynamics and economics
- Accountable for the commercial management of recycled feedstock supply and integration with supply chain to manage inventory into production plants (est. annual spend of $20MM by 2022 growing to $50MM by 2025 and working capital management of approximately $4 MM by 2022 growing to $10 MM by 2025).
- Conduct research and analysis of the market, maintain working knowledge of business trends including industry issues, cost drivers, global pricing, market conditions, and economic indicators
- Responsible for short and long- term supply forecasting of price and volume for financial models while aligning with corporate strategy
- Actively maintain leadership updated on marketplace situations that could impact the business thus providing opportunity to adapt and react the rapid changes in a financially beneficial way.
- Utilize knowledge of recycling industry to represent Braskem externally within select trade associations and pre-competitive industry collaborations, effectively advocating on behalf of Braskem’s Circular Economy strategy and steering the development of the recycling value chain in the U.S.
- Supports the commercial team to market and sell scrap material generated at Braskem facilities, maximizing strategic value and recycling rates within the Circular Economy
- Analyze, explore and implement recycled material development projects, including new partners, investments, etc.
- Support analysis associated with new sources of supply in alignment with business development activities, including availability and sourcing of certified circular feedstock or plastic waste precursors for chemical recycling projects
- Ensure alignment of commercial sourcing activities with key support groups, including O&P, Procurement, Legal, Industrial Team, Product Stewardship and HES.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 7 years of commercial, procurement, supply chain, technical or product management experience required and minimum of 15 + years of total work-related experience.
- Proven skills in negotiation, contract development and external relationship management.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
Preferred Skills, Education, and Experience:
- MBA or Master’s Degree
- Prior experience in the polymer industry or plastics recycling industry
- Expertise in polymer technology, recycling and/or conversion processes
- Previous experience in a financial or business analysis role
Must be currently eligible to work in the United States without the need for any type of sponsorship.