ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
You will be an integral part of bluebird’s oncology data sciences team. The team works across research, clinical, and pharmaceutical sciences to advance our gene therapies by leveraging expertise in bioinformatics, engineering, statistics, disease biology, and human genetics. Come work with a cheerfully nerdy group of birds that loves rising to the challenge much as we do staying locked in an endless loop trying to make the best bird pun.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
In this highly collaborative role, you will be responsible for developing, managing, and maintaining our production pipelines to drive our translational research efforts and discoveries pre-clinically. As a Data Sciences bird, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Developing and maintaining in-house production pipelines for analyzing high-throughput NGS data: bulk/single-cell RNA-seq, WGS/WES, ATAC-seq, CITE-seq, cyTOF, etc.
- Optimizing and engineering internal pipelines to be scalable, highly parameterizable, and production ready by using workflow languages.
- Leveraging cloud computing platforms like AWS for data management and data transfer across multiple platforms.
- Designing interactive dashboards to summarize results from pipelines for end users.
- Collaborating with research scientists and data scientists to understand analytical and informatics needs.
- Educating end users how to run pipelines and documenting tutorials.
- Presenting findings to a large cross-functional team and/or the outside stakeholders to drive business decisions.
- Being a key member of the data science team, building our infrastructure from the ground up.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you have:
- A passion for leveraging data engineering and bioinformatics to directly improve the lives of cancer patients
- BS with 3+ years of experience or MS with 1+ years of experience in computer science, software engineering, computational biology and/or bioinformatics.
- Prior experience with analyzing NGS data.
- Previous experience working with pipeline workflow languages such as CWL, Snakemake, WDL, Nextflow, etc.
- Experience with developing and maintaining docker containers.
- Experience working with code repositories in a cooperative coding environment (git/bitbucket)
- Prior experience working in cloud environment e.g., AWS.
- Excellent organizational skills to multi-task in a matrixed and extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence across multiple functions.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.