ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
We’re the bluebird Oncology Finance team and we spend our day providing valuable insights to drive operational and strategic decision-making. Our mission is to deliver high-quality service and information through proactive collaboration and partnership with our business that helps answer difficult questions and drives us forward. We do this by staying focused on the big picture and what really matters. Our work often requires custom, fit-for-purpose answers versus template-driven reporting and answers the most important strategic questions facing the company. We are responsive and not reactive, and truly care about the impact we make.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As Head of FP&A, you’ll provide leadership to highly motivated team members that are interested in creating a difference through delivering critical insights, business partnering, and supporting daily operational and strategic business decisions. You’ll partner with program leadership and heads of functions to drive achievement of short and long-term goals and provide finance leadership for external collaborations and alliances.
You are a dynamic and strategic leader who is willing to roll up your sleeves and dive into operational issues and help other team members when needed. In the near-term as we work through the separation of Oncology from bluebird bio, you’ll oversee and contribute to ongoing separation needs, including oversight of the transition of FP&A systems, data, and processes. You will have a strong understanding of our business and, most importantly, will inspire and grow a remarkable team.
Other responsibilities include:
- Support the Oncology leadership team as a critical finance business partner, providing decision support, performance analysis and leadership of budgeting, forecasting, and long-range planning processes
- Direct a team of four (corporate FP&A, R&D business partner, SG&A business partner, and collaborations finance manager) and assume responsibility for finance-related communications with external collaborators
- Take accountability for the delivery of a well-defined, consistent, and cohesive valuation model and related assumptions
- Support the creation of models to answer key strategic questions as they arise with help from corporate FP&A; provide presentations and recommendations to senior management based on this analysis
- Communicate comfortably at the Board, Audit Committee, and senior management level, and provide clear/concise supporting materials to guide discussions
- Support the diverse needs of early to late stage programs, liaising with our program team leads and program management and supporting collaboration partner financial needs, including for our newly approved commercial product, Abecma
- Maintain constructive working relationships and develop and shape practical suggestions for improvements in key business operations, challenging or advocating as appropriate
- Instill a high degree of financial budget ownership across the functional and program teams, providing oversight and training on the financial process as needed
- Commit to building and developing a high performing team
- Drive enhancement of tools, processes, reports and metrics to accurately forecast and report business results, building on existing use of Tableau or other tools
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree and 12+ years related work experience in finance roles of increasing responsibility
- Embraces the pace and opportunities of a fast-growing organization and has the temperament to handle the dynamic nature of this environment
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and help the team with operational execution; ability to balance the strategic needs of the business with attention to detail of the tactical day-to-day activities
- Outstanding people management expertise with a people focused orientation
- Ability to create a vision for the function and influence leaders, team and results; strong track record of managing complex cross-functional projects and getting things done effectively and efficiently
- Ability to distill insights from financial modeling into a higher-level strategic story for senior management and the board. Creative and imaginative in the visual display of quantitative information.
- Strong finance experience in high growth environments including developing models from scratch; ability to exercise good judgment and draw conclusions from less than certain data
- Strong and flexible communication style for both internal and external stakeholders (collaborations and alliance)
- Understanding of systems solutions and integration of various technologies
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.