ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
We’re the bluebird Oncology People + Culture team and we spend our days finding, developing and engaging a stellar group of scientists, accountants, program managers, regulatory experts and other flocking awesome birds. Our mission is to preserve and grow bluebird’s amazing culture! We do this by keeping our patients front of mind, hiring the best for the nest and creating solutions to take our people and teams from good to great. We are responsive but not reactive and truly care about the impact we make on the lives of others.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
bluebird Oncology is seeking an experienced Total Rewards and Operations leader to drive a broad range of strategic and operational functions within the People and Culture team. You will have overall responsibility for creating amazing experiences for our birds and candidates by leading our Total Rewards and Operations functions. Key responsibilities include oversight of global compensation, benefits, recognition, HRIS and other systems, programs (e.g., immigration, relocation), pre-boarding, compliance, and project management for the People and Culture function.
Working with your team, you will create people-focused strategies across all areas of responsibility and define, streamline, and simplify our people processes. You’ll partner closely with all teams across People and Culture to bring innovation to our programs and leverage our technology to improve experiences and engagement.
You are a dynamic and strategic leader who is willing to roll up your sleeves and dive into operational issues and help other team members when needed. You will be strong on building experience, understanding People and Culture and, most importantly, you should be able to inspire and grow a remarkable team.
- Develop strategies to solve for increasing demand by scaling the organization for growth across all areas of responsibility while developing and maintaining high performance and delivery standards with a people-centric approach.
- Define, articulate and scale our global total rewards strategies in line with our people strategy and philosophies so that we can attract and retain our bluebirds (and potential bluebirds) in a highly competitive market.
- Drive continuous improvement in the functionality and user experience of our systems, tools, and standard/operational reporting capabilities in partnership with our IT and People Analytics teams.
- Create a centralized project management function for the People and Culture function to help ensure clarity of priorities, risks, and opportunities across our teams.
- Identify standard/operational reporting (e.g., recruiting dashboards) requirements and develop routine reports.
- Serve as a strategic consultative advisor to members of the Board of Directors Compensation Committee on matters of staff and executive compensation.
- Develop strategies and manage a breadth of people and culture programs to include relocation, immigration, internal mobility, bar raiser program, etc.
- Engage in larger cross-functional programs, e.g., around process improvement, efficiency improvements, systems integration, or data quality enhancements. Act as an influencer and an integrator.
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors who deliver HR services or tools to bluebird. Foster and maintain the relationships with vendors who provide technology solutions for our global workforce, including influencing their product roadmaps.
- Develop, mentor, coach and lead a team of talented birds to drive high engagement and excellent results.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience and 10+ years in Human Resources with experience encompassing compensation, benefits and/or HR systems with at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- Embraces the pace and opportunities of a fast-growing organization and has the temperament to handle the dynamic nature of this environment
- Outstanding people management expertise with a people focused orientation.
- Ability to lead with insights and create a vision for the function, influence leaders, team and results. Strong track record of managing complex cross-functional projects and getting things done effectively and efficiently.
- Strong global compensation and benefits experience in high growth environments including developing programs from scratch in various countries. Some M&A experience would be preferred.
- Willingness to experiment and explore innovative alternatives.
- Strong internal client-facing skills with a flexible communications style.
- Proven ability to develop and continuously refine strategy and roadmap for a service delivery organization, including technology support, integration and outsourcing.
- Understanding of systems solutions and integration of various technologies.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.