About Hive Learning
Hive Learning is on a mission to disrupt corporate learning; a pursuit that is more relevant now than ever before, as face-to-face training is mostly impossible but most traditional online systems are grey, boring... and frankly rubbish if you ask us! Our magic? Peer learning. All the stuff that makes social media addictive and more - we are all about creating behaviour change by getting communities to drive daily habits together. We are making learning exciting and modern. We help workforces all over the world build cultures of learning, inclusion, collaboration and innovation. Our apps, content and activation teams help millions of people learn together every day.
We are proud to work with the likes of Pepsico, Jaguar Landrover, Deloitte, Barclays, Boots, two of the world’s top business schools and multiple world-leading sports organisations and not-for-profits like Shout and Place2Be.
We’re backed by Europe’s leading venture builder, Blenheim Chalcot, and founded by legendary Rugby World-Cup-winning coach Sir Clive Woodward. And we’re a team of 50 people (all working remotely right now!) spread across London, New York and many places in between.
And now, thanks to new client growth, we’re looking for people who share our passion to help our clients rapidly accelerate culture change in their organisations so they can continue to grow and help their people grow with them.
At Hive Learning, our products are striving to create a more equitable world. And for that reason, we take diversity and inclusion seriously in our hiring processes too. We are committed to building a team that represents a whole host of backgrounds, perspectives and skills and we’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. If this job speaks to you but you're not sure you have the "right" experience, we'd encourage you to apply anyway and tell us why you'd be great here in your cover letter.
We’re looking for software engineers that can work with us as part of our collaborative cross-functional team to help shape and develop our platform and products..
You’ll be working in project-based cycles in small, interdisciplinary teams, to develop a platform that improves lives. Our engineers come from a range of backgrounds some have formal Computer science qualifications others don’t, some have worked in large corporates others only ever with startups. If you love learning, we’d love to talk.
We rely on the following technologies. You will have come across these and used them to a varying degree. We don't expect you to be an expert in all of them, we’re happy to help you grow in the directions that you are passionate about,
- React - All of our web apps are written in
- React Native - Our android and iOS app
- AWS - Most of our infrastructure lives here (terraformed)
- We use PostgreSQL, DynamoDB for most of our persistent data
- Lambda - we use a fair bit of serverless and NodeJS
- AWS Fargate runs our docker services
- Python - Much of our application code is written in Python
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
This role focuses on developing our exciting customer interfaces, however you will be involved in all aspects of engineering. You’ll be working to clearly understand user needs, alongside the Product team and account managers, you’ll be comfortable challenging assumptions, using data and running experiments. You’ll need to be confident in writing performant, accessible code alongside design system and helping to guide the team on best practice and modern React and React native implementations.
YOU SHOULD APPLY IF:
- You like the sound of what we are doing
- You love building products driven by hypothesis, created using data and inspired by customers
- You care deeply about great user experience
- You have experience building applications for multiple devices supporting a range of browsers - you’ll be familiar with progressive enhancement
- You are passionate about great engineering and love to share your passion with others
- You have a growth mindset and you’re always looking to learn; we’re looking for someone who can both grow the role and their career at the same time
- You excel in a high-growth environment, working at startup pace, embracing change and adjusting course regularly
- You’re a strategic and analytical thinker who has a proactive approach to solving problems.
- You have an autonomous, self-starting approach with a natural curiosity of how things can be done better
- You get pleasure from doing a great job and going the extra mile for clients
- You have a creative side; you’re able to come up with ideas to help us deliver the product in new ways.
- You have a sharp attention to detail and are highly organised
Our HQ is in Scalespace, London, we also have offices in Peterborough and New York. We support home working and are flexible about your preference of office location providing you are comfortable to commit to working during core UK hours (9am-6pm) and travelling or working from an office when required.
Our interview process typically consists of a phone screen, a ‘do at home’ code task and a pairing session and interview.
- The opportunity to be part of a forward-thinking, energetic and enthusiastic team with a passion for learning and making a difference
- The opportunity to be part of a start-up to scale-up, disrupting a major market - be part of building a unique product that is becoming a house-hold name in corporate tech
- Opportunities to learn, grow and try something new in a teamwork-focused and encouraging environment designed to help you be your best self
- Continuous opportunities to learn; take part in frequent development events and expert sessions hosted at Blenheim Chalcot, plus connect and be mentored by some of the incredible people that work here in the 30+ other start-ups we share a building with
- Salary Negotiable based on experience and industry benchmarks.
- 25 days annual leave + a bonus day off on your birthday
- Life assurance
- Pension scheme
- Up to £800 flexible benefits package – you pick a combination from a list including medical insurance, dental cover, gym membership and much more.
- At Hive Learning we embrace diversity and equal opportunity, we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be
- NOTE: From now until the end of the year, the role is home based. It's expected from Early 2021 you'd need to be able to be in London or Peterborough up to a few days per week.