Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel
Reporting to: General Counsel
Liberis is transforming business finance. We use the latest technology to make it simple and flexible for small businesses to secure funding. Since our inception we have helped more than 15,000 small businesses access over £390 million in funding. We believe that small businesses are the economic lifeblood of local communities yet they continue to be underserved by traditional banks and financial services organisations. We are committed to supporting them by:
- Offering simple, fair finance to small businesses to help them thrive
- Providing easy access to flexible funding through our innovative technology platform
- Empowering our partners with finance solutions to increase the lifetime value of their small business customers.
We are in a very exciting period of growth, both within the UK and internationally, with teams based in London, Nottingham, USA and Scandinavia. As we continue to grow we are looking for talented and ambitious individuals to join us to reshape business finance and continue to support our partners and customers in the underserved SME market.
We are proud to have been included in The Sunday Times Hiscox Tech Track 100 as one of the 100 fastest growing fintechs in the UK for two years running.
Who are we?
We are the Legal Team and we serve all areas of the business as it continues to scale. We don’t just review contracts: we touch every department and are a solution-based commercial outcomes-focused function which is constantly evolving to ensure that Liberis can achieve its strategic objectives whilst always protecting against key risks. We work alongside the business and are passionate about being true business partners by upskilling the business and encouraging our colleagues to self-serve through various means. We are a small energetic Team of 2 based in London covering all Liberis markets and our next hire will be integral to our growth plan in supporting Liberis as it continues to scale.
Who are you?
We are looking for a collaborative, proactive and commercially minded lawyer to join our London Team ideally who has both a solid private practice background but with some in-house experience preferably in the fin-tech or financial services industry. You will most likely have a corporate/commercial background but we will can be flexible on this for the right individual. The candidate should be excited to be part of a rapidly growing business scaling internationally and embrace the challenges and opportunities that that brings. Ideally you should have experience with building and refining processes and the infrastructure of a Legal Team as it matures to meet the demands of the business. You should have a hands on and solution-driven approach to dealing with the business’ queries and to ensuring the business are trained to understand and identify key legal risk.
Experience in the following areas would be very beneficial:
Commercial Contracts: be adept at reviewing a range of commercial contracts from SaaS, to marketing services agreements and advising the business in an action-driven manner.
Process and function development: building templates, playbooks using and developing tools and contract management, knowledge-sharing processes, training the business across different practice areas, leveraging legal technology and data to become a better business partner.
Regulatory: we are not regulated by the FCA in the UK but are regulated in other territories and need to keep on top of any changes to regulation that could affect us.
Data Protection: a thorough understanding of GDPR, PECR and other relevant data protection legislation and the requirements in relation to marketing, SARs and processes to support compliance with such obligations whilst enabling business decisions.
Company Secretarial: As our group is expanding, we need someone organised who can manage our company secretarial obligations
International: advising and working with local counsel/ regulators in other jurisdictions. Experience working with the US would be especially helpful
What will you be doing here?
- Proactively helping the GC develop the legal function, its processes, legal technology, training and self-serve tools for the business
- Commercial contract review and advice
- Data protection advice
- Contract management (particularly iterations of our customer contract)
- Creating templates and providing training and playbooks on existing templates
- Managing our company secretarial obligations
- Monitoring and liaising with local counsel / regulators/ reporting firms on updates to regulation that might affect us and mapping our global regulatory obligations
- Assisting the GC with new territory launches
What can we offer you?
We are committed to creating an open, supportive and flexible work environment that provides our employees access to industry-leading opportunity. We are proud to have been recognised by Great Place To Work as one of the UK’s Best (Medium) Workplaces, as well as the 3rd Best (Medium) Workplace For Women and a centre of Excellence For Wellbeing. We are a values-driven and culturally diverse community and we welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of gender, race, age, sexual-orientation or background.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the business and the Legal Team and will offer the right candidate a huge breadth of work. We are committed to Team Work and never work in silos but you will be given the opportunity to lead projects and areas within the function and even manage legal in international jurisdictions. You will have daily engagement with the most senior business stakeholders and to feed into strategic decision making. We are passionate about empowering our people to make a real difference for our customers and for their own careers. We run a variety of initiatives to support our employees’ development from lunch and learn sessions to peer mentoring and formal training courses.
- Company wellbeing programme – running club, nutritionist sessions, free fruit and healthy snacks, mental health framework
- Health insurance
- Eyecare vouchers
- Flu jabs
- Company pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Performance related bonus
- Financial wellbeing initiatives
- Salary sacrifice schemes for Cycle to Work and Technology purchases
- Season Ticket Loan
- Charitable giving
- Generous holiday entitlement including an extra 3 days holiday to cover the Christmas period
- Flexible working
- Team away days
- Regular company socials
What happens next?
Think this sounds like the right next move for you? The below is a step by step guide to what happens next:
- Apply via the link on this page
- Our talent team will reach out to arrange an initial 20-30min telephone interview
- Should you be successful, the next stage would be to come onsite for 1hrs and meet the GC and complete short written task
- Second stage meeting with CFO, CRO and Legal Operations Manager