Do you want to work in a cool, young, inclusive beauty company?
Are you super organized, proactive and ambitious?
Are looking for an environment where you will be trained and can develop your skills?
Are you eager to learn and grow in your accounting career?
If this sounds like you, here’s the job for you!
The Junior Staff Accountant will provide support to other members of our finance team. Our goal is to bring great people into our organization and give then opportunity to grow.
You will be paired with a more experienced member of our team and help them to complete the tasks they oversee. Examples of the work you will be doing are the review and recording of vendor invoices, processing customer payments, and researching customer deductions. This work will require you to ask questions and gain an understanding of our business, customers and suppliers. With this you will gain the insight to know how best to enter transactions and research issues.
You will also become involved in analysis and in the various tasks necessary to close our books monthly and provide effective real time reporting throughout our organization.
- Work alongside other team members to assist in their tasks and gain the level of understanding to take these on yourself
- Leverage the accounting knowledge you have and put this into action in the work you do
- Take responsibility for the tasks you are set. Insure they are performed accurately and in the appropriate timeframe
- Ask questions and look for ways to improve our processes
- Communicate within our team and be proactive in asking for help when you need it
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- Foundational understanding of US GAAP and financial reporting
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Prior experience in an accounting department is not necessary but a plus
- Prior experience using an ERP system (NetSuite, SAP, Sage, QuickBooks) a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Be able to prioritize in order to complete all tasks in a timely manner and handle several issues simultaneously
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in a change-oriented environment
- Enthusiastic and eager to learn and problem solve
- Ability to work in a team environment and prioritize and execute concurrent assignments
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We create fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing (employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Striving towards an environment where you can be free to be yourself
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Off-site volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared the same core values among staff and who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time.”
- “Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that’s rare in the workplace.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental and life insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance for all HMS brands
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Make friends
- Love going to work every day
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.