Altana provides the world’s only dynamic, intelligent map of the global supply chain - the Altana Atlas - using AI and machine learning models to connect with and learn from massive sets of public and private data. Through the Atlas, companies and governments can understand the distant origins of products well beyond their own direct suppliers; discover trading relationships and national security risks deep in their networks; measure labor and environmental impacts; identify related risks and opportunities; ensure effective compliance and enforcement with trade requirements; and collaborate to manage all of it.
We have built a fundamental understanding of how the world’s economy works, and the implications for global resiliency, sustainability and opportunity are enormous. Backed by leading investors and used by the world’s most important organizations (Maersk, US Customs and Border Protection, Merck, Boston Scientific, and more), Altana’s mission is to power a new era of globalization organized around trusted supply chain networks.
This is a lofty mission, and our success depends on building a diverse, global team and creating an environment in which they can thrive. We operate in accordance with our values: we focus on value creation, not capture; we foster diversity and embrace difference; we embrace reality; we get things done; we amaze our clients. When you join Altana, you’ll be joining a vibrant, collaborative team working together to solve complex problems with the potential for global societal impact.
The Opportunity at Altana
The Engineering team is looking for talented Software Engineers to help build out our vision. You’ll work closely with our Back End Engineers and Data Scientists on projects to analyze and observe world-scale datasets, write code that can scale to produce never-before-seen insights, and construct APIs to deliver our product vision.
- Build products that enable the world's leading governments, logistics providers, and enterprises to move towards safer, more resilience, and more inclusive global commerce
- Develop new user facing features for the Altana product suite including workflows for network exploration, risk assessment, graph analysis, and transaction screening
- Design and build reusable, well tested code and libraries for data exploration, visualization, and analysis
- Collaborate closely with product and design to prototype, develop and launch new features and enhancements to customer experience
- Analyze and propose technical solutions to invent, enable, and enhance our product offerings
- Be responsible for automating, testing, and deploying your work
- Collaborate with fellow engineers and data scientists across the organization
- Use Next.js / React / Typescript to develop data visualizations and graph insights
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- You are an experienced engineer with at least 8+ years of real-world professional experience writing web front end applications in React, Angular, or other web libraries or frameworks.
- You have a track record of ownership and delivery of projects with major organizational impact
- You care deeply about engineering excellence, clean code, testing, and knowledge-sharing
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Inquisitive mind; able to dig into code and understand it, ask questions about it, and ramp up reasonably fast.
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience with ReGraph, ag-grid, and various css-in-JS solution, or other similar libraries
- Backend engineering experience. We use Python for our backend services, but we care more about fundamentals of service and API designs
- Experience with CI/CD tools and processes
- Working knowledge of cloud services like AWS, Azure, or GCP
Technologies we love to use at Altana
- Frameworks and libraries: Next.js, ReGraph, ag-grid, vanilla-css, playwright, React testing-library and Jest
- Tools: Github, Swagger/OpenAPI, AWS
- Datastores: Elasticsearch, Postgres, Redshift, ArangoDB
Why it’s great to work at Altana
- We love to collaborate, and we win as a team!
- We are committed to engineering excellence
- We value personal and professional development
- We learn from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- We impact the world, from enabling developing countries to identifying drug traffickers
Altana is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to inclusion across race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical ability, veteran status, and national origin. We offer a comprehensive healthcare package and paid parental leave of 3 months for the primary caregiver and 1 month for the secondary caregiver.