Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 11,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Associate General Counsel
We’re looking for an Associate General Counsel to join Alma’s quickly scaling team. Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will work closely with the Insurance Operations, Product, Marketing, Expansion, and Sales teams to provide counseling and legal support in a wide range of legal areas, including health plan agreements, provider contracts, vendor contracts, partnership agreements, regulatory and compliance issues across all 50 states.
The Associate General Counsel will play a critical role in shaping the compliance culture at Alma through providing day-to-day advice, analyzing risk, and resolving complex issues that arise to ensure Alma is in compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate is not only excited about refining the legal function at a high-growth startup, but also feels strongly about building positive relationships across the business.
What you’ll do:
- Create scalable processes, standard operating procedures, and SLAs for various teams in Insurance Operations, Product, Security, and Sales necessary for a late stage hyper growth startup.
- Help build a playbook and FAQ for Alma’s continued expansion, including new market launch best practices, entity structuring and critical regulatory and employment structure matters, such as Independent Practice Association and Friendly PCs, to ensure adherence with the Corporate Practice of Medicine.
- Assist to build a comprehensive compliance, privacy, risk assessment, and monitoring program to meet and exceed health insurance federal and state requirements.
- Develop, implement, and execute trainings on data and security protection issues, HIPAA compliance, PHI, CCPA, CAN-SPAM, FWA, and other state and federal laws
- Provide solution-oriented legal advice to teams including Product, Insurance Operations, Sales, and Marketing from the initial stages of product development through launch.
- Develop and maintain legal resources such as a legal playbook and FAQs for various teams.
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise the business on legal risks for a variety of commercial contracts and other legal documents, including independent provider agreements, commission agreements, partnership agreements, NDAs, vendor agreements, and license agreements.
- Support the business on regulatory inquiries and payor audits, including SOC 2.
- Conduct annual reviews of the Compliance Program and report metrics and data sufficient to evaluate program effectiveness.
- Serve as a collaborative partner and advisor to the General Counsel on all strategic matters related to legal, compliance, and regulatory matters.
Who you are:
- You have a JD law degree from an accredited U.S. Law School and a member of a US state bar in good standing, with the ability to register as In-house Counsel in NY or waive into New York State.
- You have 6-10+ years of experience in health law, compliance, or regulatory working in a health insurance, health system, high-growth, healthcare focused federal or state government agency or technology company.
- You are a self starter and capable of overseeing transactions end to end.
- You are resourceful, pragmatic, and an action-oriented generalist who can design effective legal advice, policies, and operational processes while employing a style that prioritizes service to and partnering with business stakeholders.
- You have experience with both federal and state healthcare regulatory and compliance issues.
- You are able to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume, frequently changing environment.
- You are able to provide practical advice by weighing legal risk against business needs and realities.
- You have a demonstrated ability to operate in a highly visible, fast paced and challenging position successfully and efficiently.
- You are passionate about Alma’s mission and making mental healthcare more accessible.
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Unlimited PTO
Salary Band: $190,000 - $220,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.