Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting, service request, and inspection solutions, with more than 20 years of experience. We offer cloud based Civic Applications and a robust, scalable solutions platform informed by industry best practices. In short, Accela helps governments innovate, so they can improve the business and citizen experience, promoting community development and creating an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
At Accela, employees enjoy a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
Where you fit:
The UX Team at Accela is growing a team of ‘T shaped’ strategists, who not only have a broad experience in interaction design, information architecture, usability research, content strategy, and visual design but also excel in one of these areas. We have a culture of learning: not just by attending conferences and workshops but also from one another. Our goal is to craft elegant and delightful interfaces that simply work and have fun doing it.
We are seeking an UX Strategist with extensive user research and strategy experience to be part of our UX Research + Strategy team (Part of UX + Design Team, which rolls up to Product) delivering web and mobile experiences. To succeed in this role, you will need to draw on your research, strategy, organizational, collaborative, and problem-solving skills. You will create research plans, IA maps, user journeys, personas, wireframes, interactive prototypes (low-fi), moments of delight, and may contribute to the Accela Design System.
Impact you will make in the role:
- You are a ‘systems thinker’ who can see beyond the problem at hand and consider the interplay between different parts of the system. (i.e., You know when a change in one product might impact the whole platform.)
- You are a true UX specialist with good understanding of mobile and web interaction patterns. You have experience designing from user experience journeys, and realistic use cases to create functional and delightful designs.
- You know how to balance creativity with structure, and thrive in collaborative environments working seamlessly with user researchers, designers, product management, technical publications team, and developers.
Expertise you will bring in:
Research & Strategy
- You have a deep understanding of different methodologies for understanding our users’ pain points, and translating those into design opportunities by applying user-centered design principles
- You have experience running cross-functional design studios or workshops to generate design ideas and gain buy-in from stakeholders
- You plan and execute research for discovery as well as validation phases of product life-cycle and are as comfortable with mile-high concepting and strategy as you are with the minutia of feature-level usability testing.
- You are able to articulate a design strategy or approach that will impact the user experience across products or platforms and support your ideas with sound reasoning and/or data
- You have experience gathering and analyzing user analytics and then folding that back into the design cycle.
- You should be excited to with designers and product managers to envision, rapidly prototype and iterate on different concepts.
- Respect for others, openness, and a positive attitude are core to our team. Everyone is responsible for contributing new ideas and being open to other’s input.
- We are a group that trusts each other enough to share works-in-progress for constructive feedback, and we are looking for someone who isn’t afraid to show their first drafts.
- Clearly communicate early concepts and direction, research plans, and research findings and analysis
- Ability to translate discovery research, behavioral analytics, product vision, and usability studies into a concise design strategy
- You will leverage actionable research and user data to create low fidelity wireframes, workflow diagrams, IA maps, and interactive prototypes.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years working as a UX Strategist or Researcher OR comparable role creating designs for enterprise applications, web, and/or mobile experiences
- Demonstrated experience with research practices listed in above sections
- BS/BA in Design, HCI or related degree, or relevant corporate experience (MUST HAVE CORPORATE EXPERIENCE)
- Must have an online portfolio showcasing research or strategy assets, bonus points if you show the process of hand-drawings to wireframes (We love paper-prototypes and hand drawings! They are definitely part of the process!)
- Proficient in a suite of tool to achieve your job goals, which may include, Sketch or other design tool, InVision, Validately, Pendo, Miro, Balsamiq, Keynote or PPT, Jira, Confluence or other project management tools
Accela is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work – we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 12 paid holidays and a competitive paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.