Who is Accela:
Accela is an industry-leading cloud/web/mobile based software company that was recently honored with the ‘Great Place to Work’ certification and is one of the leading GovTech 100 companies.
For more than 15 years, Accela has been the industry leader in designing and delivering productivity and engagement software solutions to help government agencies to be their best. Accela provides a cloud-based SaaS platform suite of products that help local/State/Federal government and Civic agencies serve local communities more efficiently and effectively.
Accela’s software drives efficiency for over 2,200 governments and is accessible to more than 160 million citizens worldwide. More than 80% of America’s 50 largest cities such as New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Miami, and Denver have implemented at least one of Accela’s many solutions.
Accela offers employees a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered, engaged and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are driven and passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
While we are busy changing the world, we also strongly believe in having fun and excitement at work and encourage a collaborative and healthy work-life balance.
If you are motivated by the idea of delivering on the promise of democracy in the digital age and solving for a new era of more efficient, open and innovative governance, then we’d love to hear from you.
Where you fit:
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer and based in our San Ramon Headquarters, Accela is looking for a dynamic hands-on leader to help drive the company’s tremendous growth and revenue operations. This role is a highly visible business partner to the sales and services organizations. If you want to join a growing legal team and enjoy making an impact on the success of your company, then we would like to talk with you.
A successful candidate will have extensive experience with software licensing, SaaS and partnership agreements, is results driven, and embraces the challenges of scaling a global business. In addition to the commercial aspects, this role will work alongside various departments, offering legal advice and expertise as needed., These areas include, but are not limited to, mergers & acquisitions, corporate policy adoption, and dispute resolution. Additionally, this role will have the option to identify at least one other area of legal operations where the candidate can develop a new or deeper level of expertise.
- Demonstrate leadership through engagement with all levels of the Sales & Services organizations to accelerate all aspects of the revenue operations and building shareholder value by defining, implementing best practices in Accela’s contracting processes.
- Partnering with Sales & Services to quickly drive deals to closure for our government customers with the highest level of standards and transparency.
- Provide guidance to outside and junior members of the legal team to facilitate the same high level of standards and transparency.
- Drafting and negotiating software license, maintenance, and services agreements, SaaS Agreements, RFP responses, and other legal documents as required.
- Assist in the development of legal and sales enablement tools (playbooks, trainings, etc.), contractual templates, and materials to bring best-in-class practices to the company.
- Engage in company ad hoc projects as needed, including M&A, compliance, corporate, human resources and others.
- With the support of the team, develop an area of interest outside of commercial that will have impact on Accela as it grows.
- Must be self-driven, collaborative, business focused, and able to maintain a sense of humor during the busiest times.
- As this role will be key in defining the culture within the legal team, candidates must be able to demonstrate a ‘team first’ approach, invested in the success in the company, and dedicated to creating an inclusive environment.
- Expertise in negotiating win-win deals with experience in contracting with government entities.
- Deep knowledge of software licensing, subscription (“SaaS”) and services agreements.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited U.S. Law School.
- Member of California Bar (or eligible for CA Registered In-House Counsel).
- 10+ years of legal experience with an emphasis on commercial matters, with 5+ years in-house at a technology company supporting the sales function.
- Ability to triage situations quickly, think creatively and drive transactions to a close.
- Demonstrated success building relationships throughout a company, especially in Sales, Services, and Finance.
- Familiarity with software revenue recognition rules.
- Experience with enterprise software contracts and professional services engagements.
- Additional experience with privacy or government relations compliance.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work, we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive and flexible paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
Accela is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.