Who is Accela:
Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting and regulatory solutions. We have more than 20 years of govtech experience and offer fast-to-implement Civic Applications and a robust and extensible solutions platform informed by industry best practices. Accela was recently honored with the ‘Great Place to Work’ certification, is consistently featured as one of the leading GovTech 100 companies, and is ranked on the Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest-growing private companies.
We help governments innovate so they can improve business and citizen outcomes, promote community development, ensure public safety and trust, and create an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
Accela’s software drives efficiency for thousands of governments and is accessible to more than 160 million citizens worldwide. More than 80% of America’s 50 largest cities such as New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Miami, and Denver have implemented at least one of Accela’s many solutions.
Accela offers employees a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered, engaged and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are driven and passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
While we are busy changing the world, we also strongly believe in having fun and excitement at work, and encourage a collaborative and healthy work-life balance.
If you are motivated by the idea of delivering on the promise of democracy in the digital age and solving for a new era of more efficient, open and innovative governance, then we’d love to hear from you.
Where you fit:
The UX Team at Accela is growing a team of ‘T shaped’ strategists, who not only have a broad experience in interaction design, information architecture, usability research and visual design but also excel in one of these areas. We have a culture of learning: not just by attending conferences and workshops but also from one another. Our goal is to craft elegant and delightful interfaces that simply work and have fun doing it.
We are seeking an UX Designer with extensive user research and strategy experience to be part of our UX Research + Strategy team (Part of Product Design) delivering web and mobile experiences. To succeed in this role, you will need to draw on your design experience, as well as research, organizational, collaboration and problem-solving skills. You will create research plans, IA maps, user journeys, personas, wireframes, interactive prototypes, moments of delight, and will contribute to the Accela Design System.
Impact you will make in the role:
- You are a ‘systems thinker’ who can see beyond the problem at hand and consider the interplay between different parts of the system. (i.e., You know when a change in one product might impact the whole platform.)
- You are a true UX specialist with good understanding of mobile and web interaction patterns. You have experience designing from user experience journeys, and realistic use cases to create functional and delightful designs.
- You know how to balance creativity with structure, and thrive in collaborative environments working seamlessly with user researchers, designers, product management, technical publications team, and developers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership & Organization
• Ability to interpret high-level strategy, and creative briefs and apply to the task at hand
• Highly developed organizational and time-management skills including the ability to plan own work, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
Research & Strategy
• You have a deep understanding of how to know our user, and apply user-centered design principles
• You have experience running cross-functional design studios or workshops to generate design ideas and gain buy-ing from stakeholders
• You plan and execute research for discovery as well as validation phases of product life-cycle and are as comfortable with mile-high concepting and strategy as you are with the minutia of feature-level usability testing.
• You are able to articulate a design strategy or approach that will impact the user experience across products or platforms and support your ideas with sound reasoning and/or data
• You have experience gathering and analyzing user analytics and then folding that back into the design cycle.
• You should be excited to work with user experience researchers to understand users' needs and goals, and with designers and product managers to envision, rapidly prototype and iterate on different concepts.
• Respect for others, openness, and a positive attitude are core to our team. Everyone is responsible for contributing new ideas and being open to other’s input.
• We are a group that trusts each other enough to share works-in-progress for constructive feedback, and we are looking for someone who isn’t afraid to show their first drafts
• Clearly communicate conceptual designs, and detailed design rationale both verbally and visually
• Ability to give and take succinct and on-point feedback in a constructive manner
• Deep understanding of design principles, layout strategy and IA principles
• You will leverage actionable research and user data to create wireframes, workflow diagrams, IA maps, and low-to-mid-fidelity prototypes.
Expertise you will bring in (including years of experience):
- 3-5 years working as a UX or interaction designer OR in a comparable role creating designs for enterprise applications, web, and/or mobile experiences
- Demonstrated experience with research practices listed in above section
- BS/BA in Design, HCI or related degree (MS preferred), or relevant corporate experience (MUST HAVE CORPORATE EXPERIENCE—either in-house or with an agency)
- Must have an online portfolio showcasing user experience and interaction design work, bonus points if you show the process of hand-drawings to wireframes (We love paper-prototypes and hand drawings! They are definitely part of the process!)
- Proficient in your design tool of choice--Sketch (preferred), Illustrator, Photoshop, Invision (or similar)
- Ability to build interactive prototypes in Invision or similar tool at various levels of fidelity
- A clear understanding of HTML/CSS a plus
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work, we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive RTO (Responsible Time Off)
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
Accela is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.