What We’re Looking For:
Establish operational plans and objectives for your business domain through the effective management and coordination of people, costs and processes. Responsible for achieving outcomes via your Engineering team, as well as making your own individual contribution by monitoring and contributing to the effective design, implementation and operation of your business domain products.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Ownership of production;
- Research, design, implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- Work with BSAs to ensure requirement maturity, clarity, completeness and alignment with systems architecture.
- Translate complex and/or ambiguous requirements and problems into operational plans and delegate tasks to team members with clarity.
- Manage sprint lifecycle (tech team perspective) from brief to completion by using effective time management, delegation of duties, clear communication and adherence to best practices.
- Ensure product quality and integrity;
- Responsible for the integrity of the business domain products in your charge.
- Responsible for the quality of code produced by team members.
- Ensure code is thoroughly tested.
- Responsible for uptime and monitoring.
- Proactively look for improvements and manage implementation.
- Take responsibility for team performance by utilising a hands-on approach;
- Set S.M.A.R.T goals for team members based on personal growth opportunities & blind spots identified and possibly short- to medium term projects identified.
- Be proactive in DSUs to ensure that the tech team is on track, works on the appropriate tasks and help to work through stucks.
- Conduct prepared bi-weekly one-on-one sessions with team members to;
- Monitor performance and guide employees toward successful outcomes.
- Give meaningful or constructive feedback.
- Get a sense of how engaged and motivated they are and take a unique approach to retaining employees.
- Be their first point of contact when issues of any nature arise and provide relevant recommendations or support.
- Build trusting relationships and understand the team's motivations, strengths, weaknesses and future goals to set your team up for success.
- Manage administrative tasks with regards to employee absenteeism, allocation of duties and leave management.
- Continuously monitor employee conduct and performance and deliver constructive and valuable feedback during the bi-annual Performance Development System.
- Plan and forecast employee salaries, welfare spend and Learning and Development initiatives in partnership with your Talent Business Partner.
- Act as coach to junior employees through effective questioning techniques and problem solving support.
- Prioritise employee morale and retention through relevant initiatives such as rewards and recognition, celebrating important milestones and fostering an inclusive, stimulating work environment that is conducive to productivity and that promotes fairness.
- Effectively team coordination in order to achieve optimal performance and reduce interruptions.
- Building team;
- Manage recruitment and selection of your team, working with the Tech Talent Acquisition Specialist as your partner.
- Contribute to technical interviews as subject matter expert when necessary.
- Plan and execute team growth and employee-specific Career Path Plans in collaboration with your Talent Business Partner.
- Plan for future team growth and prioritise employee skills development, promotions, systems requirements and projected costs.
Accountability for Results
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Engineering on strategic requirements for the business domain and establish short, medium and long-term operational plans.
- Act as subject matter expert on your business domain and influence business decisions.
- Proactively identify potential problems that could impact various business areas and provide possible solutions.
- Take ownership of sprint planning and effort point delivery.
- Ensure that developers have the resources they require to do their best work.
- Take ownership of product integrity in your charge and represent domain in business meetings.
Leadership and personal development
- Live the company’s guiding principles and encourage the team to adopt relevant behaviours.
- Promote continuous self-improvement.
- Foster an inclusive, supportive and positive work environment where employees feel safe to speak up and deliver their best work.
- Build meaningful relationships with team members to understand what motivates each member.
- Develop coaching skills to better support your team.
- Develop communication and presentation skills to represent the Engineering team with confidence.
- Develop business acumen and build a reputable image for your business domain.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 7 to 10 years web development experience of which 2+ years should be in a supervisory or management role.
- A degree in a software development related field.
- Sound business acumen and ability to effectively deal with stakeholders in challenging situations.
- Ability to navigate through complexity and ambiguity while balancing business needs and team sentiment.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- The employee may be required to work after hours and be on support, if needed.
- High stress fast paced environment.
- Day to do operation.
- Junior Software Engineers.
- Intermediate Software Engineers.
- Senior Software Engineers.
- Engineering pod leads (if applicable).
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.