What We’re Looking For:
The Student Success Advisor is responsible for managing student attrition through providing proactive, reactive, comprehensive and exceptional customer service to students on our degree programmes. This position is the critical first line of defense in executing 2U’s world class service level for its students, graduates and faculty. Due to the nature of this role, UK working hours will be the standard Monday to Friday, 9AM - 6PM /10AM - 7PM (depending on the clock changes). Successful candidates will be off on UK bank holidays and will be required to work on South African public holidays.
Relationships matter and make service your mission are two of 2U's guiding principles. These come together when faced with managing difficult conversations, varying points of view and resolving issues across parties. As part of any customer facing role it is inevitable your responsibilities will include working proactively through complex interactions and relationships. You will be called upon to manage professionally through situations like these to ensure the best possible outcomes for our students and partners and long term relationships.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
The Student Success Advisor will be assigned a group of enrolled students and is expected to facilitate every need of those students including but not limited to the following:
Student Support and Service
- Conducting student onboarding, which includes completing Welcome Calls; presenting virtual programme and technical orientation sessions; supporting students with registration; and conducting Initial Success Planning Calls.
- Provide prompt, comprehensive, professional support and personalised responses to student queries via email, phone and on online discussion forums, to ensure a world-class level of service.
- Provide personalised coaching sessions to students in accordance with 2U’s coaching model.
- Communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms to University stakeholders, students and internally.
- Utilise an in-depth understanding of the technical functions of the Digital Campus to guide a student in navigating the course.
- Troubleshoot student support issues and coordinate solutions in accordance with university policies.
- Provide an assessment of critical situations and determine when escalation is required via pre-defined channels, and follow up to ensure resolution within Service Level Agreement.
- Identify and refer students to University Academic Advising for additional support, if required.
- Internally provide regular scheduled communications and present certain programme deliverables.
- Problem solve when faced with critical situations and determine when escalation is required.
- Self-manage workload through the use of data and metrics to drive efficiency in order to meet defined KPIs and participate in regular qualitative coaching and development feedback.
- Remain up-to-date on departmental processes and resolution procedures through ongoing training and development.
- Empowered to be adaptable in every situation and to empower others.
Retention and Recovery
- Successfully retain students by understanding their needs and be knowledgeable of which strategy to deploy in various scenarios.
- Manage student retention through providing proactive, reactive, comprehensive and exceptional customer service.
- Be accountable for student retention and credit goals. Implement strategies as directed to positively impact key metrics (i.e.: graduation rates, student satisfaction, student retention goals, and credit generation).
- Analyse programme and student data to estimate credit pacing and raw credit productions, including intuitive reasoning to forecast appropriately.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Tertiary qualification required.
- Minimum 1 years’ experience working in a service-oriented, customer support or related field.
- Strong customer service background required. Previous experience providing exceptional customer service in a collegiate or university environment is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with online learning technology prefered.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, inclusive of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google suite and Salesforce advantageous).
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Familiarity with using technology in an educational setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, personal, tactful, and concise manner.
- Strong student-centered, customer service focus; commitment to student and faculty satisfaction and success.
- Ideal candidates have a passion for building and maintaining relationships with their team and the students.
- Flexibility to work scheduled evening or weekend hours, 2-3 times a week, to support students during peak evening and weekend times.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
- Ability to work and contribute in a team environment.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.