What We’re Looking For
Are you a hawk-eyed grammar expert with a penchant for academics? Our editors support the Learning Experience team by editing and providing quality assurance of all written content for our online short courses.
GetSmarter/2U is looking for an Editor to be part of our team of over 700 in-house employees and 180 industry experts who have successfully changed the lives of over 100,000 students to date. The main purpose of the role is to deliver on the editorial quality assurance of short course content, ensuring alignment with quality standards and styles of the university and 2U. The role is focused on editing and proofreading written and multimedia course content to ensure it is error free, engaging, and accessible to the intended audience. Please note that this is an entry-level position.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Edit and proofread written and multimedia course content according to internal quality frameworks and university standards.
- Recommend and implement improvements to department processes with a focus on quality and efficiency.
- Perform quality assessment on modules, give feedback to LDs, and brainstorm solutions.
- Proofread and edit written and multimedia course material for correct grammar and spelling.
- Edit course material for logic and accuracy, removing redundant or unnecessary copy, and improving logic and structure.
- Make substantive edits involving fact-checking of obvious errors, and reviewing of formatting and layout to ensure consistency with the relevant style.
- Assess language and tone of course material to ensure that it is written at a level that is appropriate for the intended audience.
- Check documents for consistency of page numbers, figures, captions, tables, etc.
- Assist with the maintenance of the in-house and university-specific style guides to ensure adherence to industry best practice.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- A university qualification in linguistics, English, journalism, publishing, law or similar, completed in English.
- Excellent written skills, including thorough knowledge of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation; and comfort working with both UK and US conventions.
- Highly skilled in using Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Google docs/sheets and Google drive.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good organisational skills: ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a high-pressured environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Editing and/or proofreading experience preferred.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.