The Instructional Systems Designer (ISD) is responsible for architecting company-wide digital training curricula as well as graphic design assets (Logos, Infographics, Reference Guides, etc.) for 2U’s Human Resources (HR) Leadership team. They will focus on supporting employee professional development needs by building a variety of 21st century learning solutions ranging from; large-scale, multi-day Orientation curriculums to Instructor/Virtual-Led (ILT/VLT) Trainings, Facilitator & Participant Guides, Virtual Webinars, Flyers, Handouts and Job Aids.
While consulting with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) at various levels, they will create learner-centric training deliverables aligned to 2U guiding principles and individual departmental initiatives. In a matrix organization, the Instructional Systems Designer will apply a basic understanding of ADDIE to ensure every learning solution implemented across the organization is customized for adult learners and meets the needs and expectations of the stakeholders. The Instructional Systems Designer will work closely with the ISD Director and ISD Team Project Manager to complete training product quality assurance (QA) reviews and learning campaign deployments within an Enterprise Learning Management System (LMS).
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Analysis Phase: Participate in the review of existing training materials, complete job task analysis, facilitate participant focus groups, and participate in informational meetings with SMEs. Develops and revises new training product templates and training resources for Sponsors & SMEs.
- Design Phase: Collaborates and consults with Sponsors and SMEs throughout the formal 2U ISD Curriculum Development process. Specific Sponsor/SME collaboration tasks include, but are not limited to: 1) assisting Sponsors & SMEs with training content outline design, 2) managing draft training deliverable SME reviews, and 3) partnering with L&D Facilitation team to ensure Leadership Development curriculum incorporates adult learning best practices.
- Development Phase: Utilizes instructional technologies such as Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Snag It, Adobe Captivate, Articulate, Vyond and Camtasia to develop training templates to build a variety of custom-built, high-graphic multimedia learning solutions. Includes and is not limited to: 1) Facilitator Guides, 2) Participant Guides, 3) Instructor-Led/Virtual-Led (ILT/VLT) Training Presentations, 4) Microlearning Videos, 5) e-Learning courses 6) and Job Aids. Adheres to internal ISD team Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Manual by consistently aligning all training products to the 2U Corporate Brand Guidelines. Utilizes an internal online project management tool, to organize, prioritize, and schedule SME review tasks.
- Implementation Phase: Serves as peer Quality Assurance (QA) reviewer to identify course improvements and share recommendations with other Instructional Systems Designers prior to deployment. Conducts LMS testing for digital media and elearning modules training deliverables and communicates necessary updates with LMS Coordinator.
- Evaluation Phase: Writes learner evaluations and assessments using Kirkpatrick 5 Levels of Evaluation Model. Administers Levels 1-4 evaluation tools to: 1) collect feedback, 2) measure learner comprehension, and 3) determine effectiveness of training deliverable(s) or training curricula.
Education and Experience:
Desired years of experience
- Master's degree in Instructional Design or Instructional Technology and 1 - 4 years of instructional system design, curriculum development, or graphic design experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 - 6 years of instructional system design, curriculum development, or graphic design experience preferred.
Required technical skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design methodology & principles as well as elearning course development best practices.
- Demonstrated capability and experience managing individual training deliverables and applying effective project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience using Storyline, Captivate, Camtasia, Web-conferencing tools (Google Meet, Adobe Connect, Zoom), and other elearning authoring tools.
- Demonstrated experience of graphic design tools (i.e. Adobe Creative Cloud, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Knowledge of Learning Management Systems, Document Management Systems, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Experience working with SMEs and serving in the Curriculum Developer role.
- Excellent listening, collaboration, decision-making, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong analytical skills with application for effective problem solving & strong attention to detail.
- Able to effectively communicate with peers and SMEs in written and verbal format.
- Solid interpersonal skills that regularly display professionalism, confidentiality, maturity, and diplomacy.
- Ability to work independently, as well as, collaborate with peers and SMEs.
- Displays a coachable attitude and volunteers to cross-train existing Instructional System Designers on the team.
- Proven ability to manage responsibilities and priorities.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.
2U will consider qualified job applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law, including Los Angeles' Fair Chance Ordinance.