The DevOps Engineering Director will lead the team responsible for designing, deploying, configuring, monitoring, and improving the highly available hosted server infrastructure for 2U’s educational partners, primarily on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform. They will work closely with other TechDev departments to support an Agile software development life cycle and the rapid release of new web and mobile technologies for our students and faculty. This is a technical role expected to troubleshoot, reverse engineer, review, and contribute code to the infrastructure as needed using modern web operations technologies and DevOps methodologies.
Education and Professional Experience:
- Experience and enthusiasm managing systems administrators, engineers, and / or developers, assisting with their technical and operational challenges, ensuring their adherence to best practices, and promoting their growth as skilled systems professionals.
- Software development experience writing high quality, readable, testable, maintainable code for web applications, configuration management, and operations tools.
- Administration experience with service oriented architectures using programmatically configurable components and technologies including DNS, IP, Load Balancers, Web Servers, APIs, DB & File Caches, Queuing, Relational & NoSQL Databases, File Systems, CDNs, Streaming, Transcoding, etc.
- Design experience creating reliable, fault tolerant, scalable, and performant web applications.
- Infrastructure as code experience using popular tools including Git, Ruby, Python, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, ZooKeeper, Fabric, Capistrano, TravisCI, Jenkins, CloudFormation, Heat, Boto, etc.
- Experience with modern monitoring, alerting, logging, and analysis tools and services including New Relic, Boundary, Pingdom, PagerDuty, Logstash, Loggly, statsd, Graphite, Sensu, etc.
- Strong networking, linux systems administration, and common cryptography fundamentals.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for information security and privacy and the implications for cloud hosted architectures.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Is a self-motivated leader with a passion for creating excellent teams to architect great technical solutions in a challenging, collaborative, and supportive environment.
- A strong sense of leadership, ownership, urgency, and drive
- Has enough project management experience to collaborate effectively in writing and in person, create and document process where needed, use common PM tools like Jira, understand and support development workflows, and assist in delivering effective solutions on schedule.
- Is available to perform on-call duties for emergencies and tight deadlines, but is motivated to architect systems that preempt and avoid these requirements. Escalations only: overnight response duties are delegated to team members in alternate time zones.
- Can show an automated configuration and infrastructure management stack that you have built.
- Can provide a link to your Github, relevant Stack Exchange profile, or technical blog.
- An opinion on any/all of the following - Puppet v Chef, Allspaw / Jacob / Debois, Netflix, #MonitoringSucks, Heroku, OpenStack v AWS, Ops v DevOps v NoOps, Riak v Mongo v CouchDB
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and the flexibility to thrive in an entrepreneurial atmosphere of constant change and growth, shot through with a healthy dose of self-effacing humor.
- A love of education and a commitment to bettering lives - the triple bottom-line.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.
2U will consider qualified job applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law, including Los Angeles' Fair Chance Ordinance.