Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,400 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
What you will own:
Reporting to the Engineering Director, you will lead across one or more teams. You will manage significant complexity with skill to deliver multiple major work streams simultaneously in service of the overall business, and our customers:
- Develop, recruit, retain talent: You actively mentor engineers and are able to recruit top engineering talent. You create a positive and high performing environment whilst ensuring the team has the direction and support they need.
- Help shape what we build: You work closely with stakeholders and other engineers to design and refine our work. We work as a team and the team will look up to you for technical direction.
- Influence technology evolution: We are designing new platforms with long-term goals in mind and are also happy to improve with new technology capabilities.
- You build it, you run it: We’re obsessed with shipping value; you’ll own your team’s deliveries beyond pushing code to production. You’ll care about bugs, scalability, uptime and other non-functional requirements.
- Lead by example: You are able to participate hands-on in engineering tasks like system design, pull request reviews coding and developing proof of concepts. You drive impactful outcomes and lead by example.
- Engineering Excellence: You proactively raise the bar of engineering excellence in your area and own key decisions around speed of delivery and quality trade offs. You contribute to raising the bar of engineering practices at a company level.
- Product mindset: You invent, simplify and prioritize what we do. You insist on the highest standards from your team and yourself. You have charisma, you lead and influence teams. You tackle open-ended somewhat ambiguous problems with ease.
What you bring to the table:
- Strong experience in building scalable and maintainable software products (backend services, APIs, frontends). We welcome generalists and polyglots.
- Ability to extract the best from your people, more so, how to combine their strengths to create a great team
- Solid experience with system design and architecture
- You are a system design enthusiast and have experience designing and transforming existing systems collaboratively to make them scalable, maintainable and reliable.
- You have a true DevOps mindset and are able to support your team towards becoming true owners of their product/platform
- You work well with Engineering and Product members and are comfortable building effective relationships with stakeholders outside technology.
- An open mind with respect to diversity and inclusivity. Our team (and customers) come from all over the world.
Bonus Points if you:
- Have worked at a scaling startup.
- Have experience with financial services or remittance products.
Our tech stack:
Our tech stack is varied at the moment. Embarrassing honesty - We are in the process of migrating some of our products off legacy stacks. Note: You don’t need to know the whole of the tech stack below. But it is here for you to be aware of.
- Backend services: Java(SpringBoot and SpringCloud), Kotlin, Python.
- Web Front Ends: React (Typescript)
- Mobile apps: We have both React Native and Native mobile apps for our different brands (native apps: iOS-SwiftUI, Android-Kotlin)
- Public Cloud: AWS and GCP
- CI/CD tooling: CircleCI, ArgoCD, Jenkins, AzDO
- Container orchestration: Kubernetes
- IaC: Terraform
- API Gateway and Service Mesh Architecture
- Databases: SQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below will apply to Full-time roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected..
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.