Warby Parker is looking for a seasoned Product Development Manager to lead the development and sourcing of beautiful frames in partnership with our designers. In this collaborative role, you’ll use your development and strategic sourcing experience to translate our designs into final products, all while optimizing cost, quality, and lead time. We’ll count on you to help Warby Parker set and execute a strategy for frame and raw materials vendors that aligns with our growth targets. You’ll be primarily accountable for vendor development, negotiations, sourcing, production management, and reporting on vendor performance metrics. On top of managing the timeline of new products and supporting our core business, you’ll seek new vendors that can help achieve our product and scalability goals. Sound right up your alley? Read on!
The Product Development Manager will report to the Sr. Director of Product Development under the Product Strategy team umbrella, which includes the Merchandising and Planning departments.
What you’ll do:
- Manage multiple key factory relationships for both new developments and core businesses through the end-to-end product lifecycle
- Partner closely with our designers to create successful seasonal, chase, and long-term innovation development that leads to a high adoption rate for our prototypes
- Work with internal teams to understand their product needs from a quality, price, and design perspective
- Own the development calendar, ensuring that internal and external partners know and adhere to timelines
- Continually assess Warby Parker’s current vendor base and spending, including forecasting, capacity planning, and sampling and manufacturing lead-times
- Oversee the purchasing of all frames, then measure the delivery and quality performance associated with them
- Negotiate costs while considering cost trade-offs within the product, vendors’ cost structures, and overall business volume
- Identify and scout new frame vendors in line with our goals for scalability, social innovation, environmental impact, new capabilities, quality, and cost parameters
- Manage internal and external processes associated with onboarding new frame vendors, including the introduction and facilitation of our Vendor Compliance Manual
- Determine and report out KPIs to include in vendor scorecards, internal team performance measures, and future department goals
Who you are:
- Backed by 5–8 years of relevant experience
- An excellent communicator (online and in person) who demonstrates strong cross-functional collaborative skills
- Always on top of things and unflappably professional—you’ll be working with external partners, so this is especially important!
- Detail-oriented with super strong organizational and analytical skills
- Confident relying on your judgment and past experience to set and accomplish goals
- A seasoned, successful project manager
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, and Adobe applications (for viewing tech drawings, combining files, and making edits)
- Experienced in working with international vendors and knowledgeable about the cultural, regulatory, commercial, operational, and logistical implications of managing day-to-day operations within that setting
- Understanding of what drives vendors’ cost structures and capable of negotiating with overseas providers
- Able (and excited!) to travel internationally
- Eyewear product development and sourcing experience
Warby Parker was founded with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels and designing our frames in-house, we’re able to offer top-quality glasses and sunglasses (plus an uncommonly delightful shopping experience) at a fraction of the traditional going price.
Since starting out in 2010, we’ve set up headquarters in New York City and Nashville, built our own optical lab, and opened retail locations all around the U.S. and Canada. As we grow, we’re committed to proving that businesses can scale and be profitable while doing good in the world. For every pair of glasses we sell, a pair is distributed to someone in need—to date, that’s over five million pairs.
Of course, all work and no play makes a dull workplace. Who likes that? At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community keeps us excited to walk through the door every day. Good work, good people.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear (plus discounts for friends and family)
- And more (just ask!)