VSA Partners is a group of dedicated, collaborative and kind people that value smarts over egos. We work very hard to create human-centered, insight-inspired work that moves people, changes behavior, and answers real strategic problems. We started as a design firm over 30 years ago and operate today with a “design thinking” approach to everything we do. Formally, we’re a branding and marketing company that approaches business challenges holistically and aims to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising. Informally, we’re a family that comes together at the table every day to make something great.
VSA has a Recruit from Everywhere, Work from Anywhere policy so most of our roles can be based anywhere in the US!
Our Director, Resource Management analyzes VSA’s Resource Management (“RM”) structure, systems and processes and makes recommendations for changes and improvements to make the function operate more efficiently and optimally. They partner with practice, discipline and account groups leaders to staff projects while addressing project needs, skill fit and individual career development considerations.
Our Director, Resource Management is expected to:
- Lead day-to-day resource management activities, including:
- Functioning as a strategic advisor to VSA’s practice, discipline and account group leads. Partner with those leads to maintain optimal resource utilization across VSA by identifying appropriate resource needs for each account and project.
- Work closely with Project Managers to ensure staffing plans align with project scope and budget.
- Proactively reviewing status of projects, individual utilization and daily resource/booking generics to identify issues and recommend solutions. Bring together the appropriate people to make decisions about the best way to move forward.
- Serving as the escalation point to resolve resourcing challenges between projects and account groups. Identify appropriate solutions and negotiate compromises as required.
- Assess existing RM processes to identify areas for improvement and best practices. Establish, communicate and ensure consistent execution of updated RM processes as appropriate. Communicate those processes throughout VSA, working with practice, discipline and account group leads to customize them as appropriate to best meet the needs of each group. Ensure compliance with agreed-upon best practices.
- Determine when use of freelance resources is required and coordinate with Talent Acquisition to source those freelancers. Ensure use of freelance resources remains within budgetary guidelines and provide recommendations to control costs.
- Coordinate the process for onboarding and offboarding freelance resources.
- Lead weekly resource meetings to facilitate staffing decisions for current, upcoming, and new business projects. Identify any gaps and project risks. Collaborate with practice/discipline leads and Project Managers to identify appropriate solutions for resourcing challenges.
- Understand capabilities, skills and interests of assigned resources to better inform resource recommendations and ensure the right fit on projects.
- Review reports on utilization, forecast and pipeline, headcount and client needs to make appropriate hiring and staffing recommendations.
- Responsible for the Resource Management component of OpenAir. This includes:
- Ensuring that VSA understands and uses the full capabilities of OpenAir to streamline processes and eliminate manual workarounds.
- Working with each practice and discipline to understand its resourcing and data needs and strategize how best to configure OpenAir to meet those needs.
- Monitoring individual allocations and assignments to ensure appropriate balance of workload among VSAers.
- Maintaining detailed knowledge of OpenAir’s reporting capabilities to ensure that VSA makes appropriate use of the tool to advise staffing decisions.
- Facilitate collaboration, communication and process consistency across the Practices and Disciplines.
- Collaborate with Financial Leadership on forecasting and other analysis as needed.
- Proactively review staffing data and provide insights on trends, forecasts, opportunities for improvement, and areas of concern.
- Collaborate optimally with Project Managers to ensure that schedules and resource request data are current, complete and updated as required.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Our Director, Resource Management has these qualifications:
- Eight or more years of resource management experience in the advertising/marketing industry. Project management experience is a plus.
- Experience having established and developed the resource management function at an agency is a plus.
In order to succeed, they must have the skills, abilities, and knowledge:
- The ability to operate at both the strategic and tactical levels to define the department’s direction and carry out that direction.
- Strong diplomacy skills to maintain collaborative professional relationships while managing team member priorities and wants that sometimes conflict with one another.
- A collaborative and problem solving approach to leading resourcing.
- Experience in capacity planning and forecasting.
- Proficiency in OpenAir or other resource management/project management tools.
- Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- An understanding of organizational change principles to foster adoption of updated systems, processes and best practices.
VSA Partners is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive, equitable environment for all employees. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit and business need.
California Residents - Please review our California Privacy Notice here.
VSA PARTNERS, LLC