At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture, and are seeking a candidate who loves to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre Companies has a Staff Accountant position available to join our Corporate Accounting team!
Position Summary: As Staff Accountant, you are responsible for the preparation of various account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, interest calculations, and various schedules/reports.
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Prepare various GL account reconciliations
- Calculate intercompany interest
- Prepare credit card reconciliations and coding
- Accounting for pre-paid expenses
- Prepare personal property tax filings
- Prepare various monthly and quarterly schedules.
- Assist in audit workpaper preparation at year end.
- Special projects, as requested, and additional duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- 1-2+ years' experience as an Accountant or Bookkeeper.
- Good understanding of general ledger.
- Experience in the home building or real estate industry preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize work effectively and work independently.
- Motivated individual with a lot of energy and a positive attitude.
- Computer experience to include advanced Excel skills, word processing and PowerPoint as well as accounting software (experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV preferred).
- Proven ability to multitask.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must have analytical and problem solving abilities.
Van Metre Companies was just named one of the Top Workplaces in DC in 2017 by theWashington Post and the Washington Business Journal! We have also won the Washington Business Journal's Corporate Philanthropy Award 2 years in a row, received the Silver Award and recognition for being a Breast Feeding Friendly Workplace from Loudoun County's 2017 Annual Healthy Business Awards Council, and were named 2017's Outstanding Corporate Citizen of the Year in the mid-size business category from the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce!
We offer excellent benefits, and a work environment that fosters and rewards excellence. We also promote work/life balance, including a robust Employee Wellness Program, which encourages healthy living and physical fitness through our monthly gym membership reimbursement, free Fitbit challenges, and massage offered on site. We encourage employees to make full use of vacation and company paid volunteer time to refresh their bodies and minds.
As a developer of complete communities and towns – luxury residential, mixed-use residential/retail, commercial, condominium and apartment communities – we have built more than 16,000 new luxury and custom homes since 1955.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top quality homes, investment properties and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and in the management of apartment, retail and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.