The Platform Infrastructure team owns and operates the cloud services and developer tools that power Udacity. We believe strongly in infrastructure-as-code and "automate everything." As an engineer on Platform Infrastructure, you'll do a little bit of everything - configuring our cloud infrastructure, developing new tools and services, teaching best practices to other teams, helping resolve production service outages, and more.
The Platform Infrastructure team works primarily in Go, but you're also likely to find yourself reading, debugging, and sometimes writing code in all of the languages in use at Udacity, particularly Typescript but also Python and Ruby on occasion. We're in the process of migrating the organization to a multi-region Kubernetes deployment with a multi-master database, so experience with the theory and practice of distributed systems is a plus. You should either have significant experience with tools like Terraform and Docker, or be prepared to learn a lot.
- Develop tools to improve developer productivity to bring new Udacity products to market.
- Provide support and advice to developers building new student-facing applications.
- Develop tools to manage our fleet of cloud services in AWS.
- Use configuration management tools to deploy and maintain Udacity products.
- Participate in on-call rotation for production incident response.
- 2+ years of professional experience
- Experience in Go, Ruby, Python or a comparable language.
- Experience running Linux, Docker, or related systems.
- Interest in systems engineering, networking, and security administration.
- Mentors others and supports their growth.
- Encourages positive attributes and attitudes in others.
- Sees through complex problems to simple, actionable improvements.
- Works urgently and carefully under pressure.
- Continuously learning new tools and techniques.
- Resourcefulness to work through thorny production issues.
- Patience to sort out unclear operations requests.
Udacity is a learning company and you will have time to learn our particular systems on the job. Not every candidate will have prior experience with the specific tools and systems that we use.
Consider applying if your experience is close to what we described above. We look for people with exceptional potential, as we know highest performing teams include people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
Udacity is committed to creating economic empowerment and a more diverse and equitable world. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition (including genetic information), age, veteran status or military status, denial of pregnancy disability leave or reasonable accommodation.