Udacity's mission is to democratize education. We're an online learning platform offering groundbreaking education in fields such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, virtual reality, and more. Focused on self-empowerment through learning, Udacity is making innovative technologies such as self-driving cars available to a global community of aspiring technologists, while also enabling learners at all levels to skill up with essentials like programming, web and app development. If you love a challenge, and truly want to make a difference in the world, read on!
As a Senior Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and developing the systems that support our flagship product: our students’ learning experience and content creation systems. Our microservices infrastructure is written in Node and GoLang, and Java. A successful candidate is well versed in distributed systems and data store architectures. The Udacity classroom itself is a modern React application on the frontend, with a graphql service API.
- Design, build, ship, and maintain new and existing infrastructure supporting Udacity’s classroom and students
- Develop and maintain comprehensive monitoring, alerting, and incident response protocols for your services
- Advise on, guide, and participate in engineering-wide initiatives to boost our development processes and shared infrastructure
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on the classroom experience team and across the engineering organization
- Participate in on-call rotation for production incident response.
- Ensure the classroom complies with best practices in accessibility, internationalization and localization
What We Value:
- You have five years or more of experience working hands-on in a product-oriented software engineering role, in live production code.
- You are a very good communicator, able to express complex technical ideas clearly both verbally and in writing
- You have demonstrated expertise in designing, building, delivering, and maintaining reliable and performant microservices. We’re not as interested in experience with specific languages or frameworks, as we are in your engineering skill and demonstrated ability to ship, but you’d primarily be working with React, Node, Graphql, GoLang, Postgresql, Java, and of course the latest web protocols and security concerns.
- You thrive in a fast-moving, autonomous environment.
- You strive to identify problems ahead of them actually arising, but you can make judgement calls to prioritize what’s most important. You know how to detect rabbit-holing but you can clearly defend when it’s worth making a bigger investment in a particular initiative.
- You are passionate about your users’ experience and you feel, as we do, that online education can improve lives worldwide.
Consider applying if your experience is close to what we described above. We look for people with exceptional potential, as we know highest performing teams include people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
Udacity is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe that the unique contributions of all Udacians is the driver of our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate on the basis of regard to race, color, religious, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.