The Research Associate II will interface between R&D and Operations to establish new processes at scale for DNA-based products in manufacturing. You will develop and support the production team’s custom DNA-based applications and assays for synthetic biology including high-throughput probe generation through robust experimental design. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep manufacturing on track and constantly improving in a fast-paced startup environment.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Assist Development Scientists in developing non-standard Operations workflows and QC assays using scalable manual and semi-automated processes.
- Prepare work instructions, batch records, QC reports and Collateral documents for Operations.
- Investigate, create and develop new methods and technologies for oligo and probe construction and analysis.
- Independently plan, execute and document experiments
- Make detailed observations and interpret results and generate hypotheses from workflow processes.
- Collaborate with Automation Engineers on the implementation of new processes into production.
- Work with Database Engineers on QA systems to optimize and test LIMS systems in development.
- Apply Twist’s core technologies to develop and refine commercial kits, kit components, and/or custom products, including formulation and protocols.
- Work with R&D Scientists and Bio-informaticians to design and perform experiments, collect data, and analyze results.
- Support day-to-day operations, service, and troubleshooting for manufacturing.
- Capture intermediates that fail pipeline processing, complete orders using established SOPs, troubleshoot failures, and determine new paths forward when the established pipeline methods fail.
- Fulfill orders for custom products that deviate from standard Operations workflows
- Follow regulatory and ISO 13485 requirements
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Respectful and open to others’ views; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Self-motivated and passionate about delivering world-class DNA-based products.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with aggressive timelines.
- Meticulous attention to experimental planning, execution, and record keeping.
- Strong organization and scheduling skills.
- Experience with NGS sample prep and instrument operation
- Excellent documentation and communication skills. Proficient in MS Office. Able to prepare electronic documents including data summaries with visualizations, technical reports, Work Instructions, Manufacturing Batch Records, and present results effectively to lab members with diverse backgrounds.
- Strong background in general Molecular Biology techniques including enzymatic assays, DNA separation techniques, DNA purification (e.g., SPRI purification), DNA quantification (e.g., Invitrogen Qubit assays), miniprep, and PCR/qPCR.
- Comfortable working in a LEAN manufacturing / controlled laboratory environment.
- Support the organization in maintaining a work environment focused on scientific integrity quality, and one that fosters learning, open communication, collaboration, integration, and teamwork.
- Can-do attitude and comfortable working in a fast moving startup environment.
- High attention to detail.
- Experience with Automation, preferably Hamilton instruments.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Research Associate:
- requires 0-2 years with BA, no previous professional experience.
- Research Associate II:
- requires a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 - 3 years of related experience with BA; or 0-2 years experience with MSc; or equivalent work experience.
- Sr Research Associate:
- requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 3 years and a Master's degree; or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working with a LIMS database.
- Experience with liquid handling systems and automation tools.
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.