Twist Bioscience is looking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Sr Staff Scientist to work at the interface of surface chemistry and polymer chemistry. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in one of the following: Polymer chemistry, materials science, surface chemistry or synthetic organic chemistry, and have extensive experience in surface functionalization for biological applications and surface characterization. The hands-on Sr Staff Scientist will work with a cross-functional team to better understand, control, and optimize novel surface chemistries on Twist’s proprietary semiconductor-based DNA synthesis platforms for the purpose of chip-based enzymatic and electrochemical DNA synthesis. The Sr Staff Scientist will thrive in a fast-paced R&D environment and engage with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, chemists, biochemists, molecular biologists, and physicists.
What You’ll Be Doing
- The Sr Staff Scientist will be responsible for all phases of surface functional chemistry development. This includes adapting well known methodologies to our unique silicon-based enzymatic DNA synthesis process as well as exploring new surface treatment technologies
- Apply a fundamental understanding of synthetic organic chemistry to prepare novel polymeric materials and graft them onto silicon substrates
- Operate and maintain a surface chemistry lab
- Develop methods to characterize and measure effectiveness of surface coatings in the context of biocompatibility and functional performance
- Assist with transfer of the surface functionalization process to manufacturing
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- PHD. in polymer chemistry, surface chemistry, materials science, or related field with 8-10 years experience
- Expertise in polymer synthesis using methodologies such as ATRP and RAFT
- Experience with synthesis and characterization of biocompatible polymers, polymer grafts, hydrogels for a variety of applications is preferred; familiarity with surface conjugation techniques and post-synthetic polymer modification for microarrays, DNA sequencing or other biological applications on glass or silicon is a plus
- Expertise in immobilization of oligonucleotides and proteins as well as passivation against protein fouling
- Hands-on experience using a variety of surface characterization techniques such as XPS, TOF-SIMS, SEM, TEM, Ellipsometry, contact angle, AFM, spectroscopic techniques and FTIR.
- Some experience studying interactions between on surfaces is preferred
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills are critical
- Maintain excellent laboratory records, write reports, and present research to a multidisciplinary group as required.
About Twist Bioscience
At Twist Bioscience, our expertise is accelerating science and innovation by leveraging the power of scale. We have developed a proprietary semiconductor-based synthetic DNA manufacturing process featuring a high throughput silicon platform capable of producing synthetic biology tools, including genes, oligonucleotide pools and variant libraries. Our platform overcomes the current inefficiencies of synthetic DNA production, and enables cost-effective, rapid, high-quality and high throughput synthetic gene production, which in turn, expedites the design, build, test cycle to enable personalized medicines, pharmaceuticals, sustainable chemical production, improved agriculture production, diagnostics, biodetection and data storage. For more information, please visit www.twistbioscience.com. Twist Bioscience is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @TwistBioscience at https://twitter.com/TwistBioscience.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.