We are looking for intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic individuals to join our Twist Bioscience Operations Team in South San Francisco. The Manufacturing Lead will be responsible for the manufacture and analysis of a variety of gene products across Twist Bioscience’s proprietary process workflow to meet the Twist production forecast and timelines.
The Manufacturing Lead will be held accountable for maintaining production schedule and troubleshooting. Secondary responsibilities shall include the following: operating of automated liquid handling devices in a safe and efficient manner, following scheduled tasks, exhibiting detail-oriented documentation skills for updating batch records and logs, cleaning and restocking the lab, and practicing good lab bench techniques to ensure high quality and consistent products.
The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep manufacturing on track in a fast paced start-up environment. The Manufacturing Lead will also be responsible for the production of genes and various intermediates according to established SOPs and complete manufacturing batch records to contribute to the daily production schedule.
Specific responsibilities tailored to Lead:
- Can troubleshoot all processes
- Maintaining daily operations w/ or w/o the supervisor (equipment maintenance, fulfill production request, retain review)
- Review time sensitive material and calendar events
- Delegating material inventory shortage to team members or warehouse
- Delegating waste management activities to team members or facility
- Reviewing MES buckets and notify supervisor of any discrepancy (inform of intended actions)
- Reviewing JIRA tickets with supervisor to create action items
- Enforce checklist activities and audit lanes
- Train Operators on the process and conduct new operator trainings for general lab steps
- Responsible for successful execution of production in their cell / lane / workgroup
- Support the supervisor
- In the lab all the time to ensure process are running
Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manufacture high quality custom oligo containing products in a high throughput MFG lab according to established SOPs.
- Operation of robotic laboratory equipment and traditional lab equipment (bioanalyzers, centrifuges, sealers, thermocyclers, spectrometers, HPLCs, Next Gen Sequencing etc.)
- Daily use of traditional molecular biology processes and techniques especially PCR, DNA quantitation and handling, DNA purification
- Maintaining thorough, accurate and detailed documentation of all work produced in batch records, databases or other acceptable formats including problems and deviations
- Updating and writing work instructions and documentation
- Ability to work independently and in a safe manner
- Attention to details for process consistency
- Documentation, troubleshooting and addressing process deviations
- Packaging products
- Ability to work in an ISO, GMP, LEAN manufacturing environment and follow the lean manufacturing concepts
- Daily completion of assigned tasks to keep MFG on track
- Focus Areas for Gene Production:
- Focus on Molecular Biology Techniques
- Preparing and purifying DNA samples
- Performing PCR amplification
- Micro-pipetting reagents and following formulations
- Focus on Cellular Biology Techniques
- Prepare materials for cell culturing
- Perform cloning techniques such as transformation and colony screening
- Perform purification techniques for the extraction of DNA
- Focus on Analysis
- Preparing and running DNA library pools for NGS sequencing
- Using Spectromax for fluorescent quantification
- Preparing Gel and BioAnalyzer assays for DNA products
- Bachelors/Associates degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry: degree preferred but will consider candidates with relevant laboratory experience
- Familiarity or prior experience in a manufacturing environment
- Good written and verbal skills
- Attention to details
- Good computer skills and comfort in using computers for all aspects of MFG, experience with excel and word, Jira/Confluence, web based or similar programs
Typical Working Conditions are:
- Team based laboratory environment
- Working in controlled laboratory environment
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to work outside of regular work hours/ work a flexible shift as needed
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.