Programmable DNA, the software of Life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, make everyday chemicals by using the atmosphere as the carbon source, enable plants to make their own fertilizers, and to create in-vivo diagnostics that alert us when we are sick, and many more applications.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, technical leader to serve as the Director of Bioinformatics/Data Science who will play a key role in leading the development of novel algorithms and all analytical aspects of our machine-learning based synthetic DNA products. With a combination of excellent leadership and technical knowledge in bioinformatics and data functions, this individual will guide our teams of bioinformaticians and data science in the development of novel algorithms and pipelines to design, sequence, and analyze synthetic DNA for a variety of product lines and applications. The individual’s responsibilities will span R&D work in algorithms, product development, and the implementation of production-ready, scalable and robust pipelines, with a strong emphasis on NGS sequencing and genomics. For data science, the individual will manage ML model generation and deployment, MLOps, data engineering and warehousing, and reporting/BI. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of molecular biology techniques, especially as they relate to DNA, and a wide breadth of knowledge and experience in NGS sequencing, bioinformatics tools, building models and infrastructure from scratch, and a proven track record of creating business value by deploying ML models to production in a scalable fashion.
This position will report to the SVP, Operations and will work closely with diverse functions across the entire organization to ensure that our different verticals have the bioinformatics and data science support that they need, including Molecular Biology R&D, Operations, Pharma, software engineering, eCommerce, and others. The individual will provide matrixed support and deep technical and scientific guidance to other departments. The individual will also guide the strategy and execution of our scientific computing roadmap.
A deep understanding of sequencing technologies, target enrichment, genomics, and molecular techniques is highly preferred. Strong communications and interpersonal skills are absolutely required.
- Attract and maintain a team of the highest caliber bioinformatics and data science talent
- Develop new computational methods and pipelines to characterize DNA-based products such as genes, oligo pools, target enrichment panels, and variant libraries
- Build and deploy robust, scalable, internally- and externally-facing bioinformatics pipelines
- Partner with stakeholders in other departments to execute collaborative projects
- Develop and execute a bioinformatics and data strategy in collaboration with senior leadership
- Communicate effectively to all levels of the organization, including executives
- Manage our computational biology codebase
- Manage our bioinformatics infrastructure
- Build and deploy machine learning models into production
- Develop new methods and data to answer deep questions in operations, marketing, and beyond
- Ph.D. (or equivalent experience) in computational biology, bioinformatics, genomics, systems biology, statistical genetics or a related field
- 7+ years of industry experience in bioinformatics, both as an individual contributor and managing teams
- Strong programming skills, with a preference for Python
- Experience with workflow management tools (Luigi, Airflow, etc.)
- Proven track record of developing custom algorithms for NGS sequencing analysis or related problems
- Experience working with genomics data sets
- Track record of attracting and retaining top talent, and managing effective computational biology and data science teams
- Experience designing a bioinformatics and data science roadmap and executing the vision behind it
- Track record of working effectively in cross-functional projects
- Technical knowledge of molecular biology techniques and bioinformatics, with an emphasis on NGS sequencing, target enrichment, and/or genomics
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Kubernetes and CI/CD
- Broad understanding of AWS resources and experience using them
- Familiarity with Databricks, MLflow, Spark and Seven Bridges
- Exposure to the drug development process, IVD, of PGx
- Experience with ML deployment frameworks (Sagemaker, Kubeflow, etc.)
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.