Programmable DNA, the software of life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, everyday chemicals are made using the atmosphere as the carbon source, plants make their own fertilizers, in-vivo diagnostics will alert us when we are sick, and many more applications including even long term storage of data encoded in DNA.
Twist is looking for a Bioinformatics Engineer to join our Production Bioinformatics Team. You will work alongside software engineers, data scientists, and lab scientists to further deliver on our mission to expand access to best-in-class quality synthetic biology. You will be engineering tools to better build hardened, production quality pipelines, evaluate data quality, and automate lab and bioinformatics processes. Our ideal candidate is an organized problem solver with an eye for automation, and equally excellent communication skills and proven ability to work independently.
- Collaborate with R&D and Field Application Scientists to recognize and address software automation opportunities and scalability bottlenecks
- Apply software engineering best practices to update and transition bioinformatics pipelines from Research to Production
- Supplement bioinformatics needs for a variety of Twist applications
- Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively
Required skills and experience:
- MS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Engineering, or another science or equivalent experience
- Fluent in Next-Generation Sequencing data analysis including common tools (eg. bwa, GATK, Picard, etc) and file formats (FASTQ, BAM, VCF, BED)
- Strong Proficiency with Python, SQL, Bash, Git with experience building packages with tests
- Familiarity with pipeline orchestration tools (eg. Airflow, Luigi)
- Able to effectively communicate and work with onsite and offsite teams using Slack, JIRA, and Confluence
- Excellent documentation skills
- Experience with AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience with DevOps and CI/CD
- Experience with data science tools (Pandas, Spark)
- Experience with synthetic and molecular biology
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.