Twist is looking for an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic Director to join our operations team in South San Francisco to manage the synthetic biology manufacturing pipeline. In this role you will be responsible for running a 24/7 gene synthesis manufacturing operation and lead a large team of over sixty members to deliver thousands of orders each week. The Director will assure support and delivery of world-class products that meet customer needs. The ideal candidate will enjoy both the challenge of building new products, and the rigor and accountability of manufacturing and delivering best in class products with exceptional cost and turnaround time. The Director must have strong technical knowledge of synthetic biology, molecular biology, and chemistry and will be responsible for all aspects of gene assembly, inventory and scale up of catalog and custom vectors, cloning, large scale prep as well as training, safety and other aspects surrounding the manufacture of these products and intermediates.
- Direct a 24/7 high throughput synthetic biology gene synthesis manufacturing line of 60+ staff members to deliver thousands of orders each week.
- Assure quality, efficiency and on time delivery of genes and related gene based products
- Expand documentation and training to maintain ISO standards and support technical competence
- Mentor and direct Production Managers and Supervisors
- Drive operational excellence by identifying and driving continuous process improvement (CPI), and resolving manufacturing issues.
- Triage in depth and complex process investigations
- Manage and improve on manufacturing performance, TAT, capacity and cost
- Review manufacturing KPIs daily to keep production on track
- Run daily production huddles to track schedules and incidents
- Manage and deliver annual manufacturing goals, objectives, and operating budget.
- Run a manufacturing production that adheres to lean Manufacturing, GMP manufacturing
- Manage system requirements, compliance, and documentation for production.
- Create workflows and software requirements for integration of manufacturing processes into MES
- Oversee transfer of new products/processes from R&D to Production
- Partner with Supply chain, QC and QA to produce a portfolio of custom/made to order and catalog products
- Syn Bio OPS point of contact for customer support and quality to assure customer satisfaction
- Represent and establish operations compliance for new product launches (NPI) to ensure the successful product launch and sustained manufacturing
- Collaborate with Tech Transfer/Process Development and automation for CPI innovations and solutions
- 10+ years of experience working in biotech/ life science tools manufacturing
- Expert performance management coaching and people development experience.
- Experience managing Managers and managing large dynamic teams
- Knowledge of LEAN, GMP manufacturing, Six Sigma, 5S and other quality processes and tools
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience in manufacturing and supply chain best practice
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical abilities
- Knowledge of quality systems, materials management, cost reduction, project management, EH&S
- Ability to influence senior management and motivate direct reports
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Strong leadership and an innate ability to collaborate and build relationships
- Thorough understanding of best in class tools and processes to build scalable systems
- Ability to think strategically yet execute tactically
- A mentor and leader who excels at staff engagement and development
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science
- Advanced technical degree in Engineering or Science strongly preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of synthetic biology, molecular biology, and/or chemistry specifically gene assembly, cloning, maxiprep and next gen sequencing
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.