See yourself at Twilio
Join the Billing team as our next Staff, Software Engineer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to design, architect, and build core platform services, REST APIs and help transition our platform to next generation architecture. We run on AWS cloud infrastructure and use AWS cloud data store, messaging services, MySQL, Redis, and Docker.
In this role, you’ll:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your advanced engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.
- 7+ years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Java, Scala or Python
- Strong experience building scalable software systems and strong background in distributed systems, infrastructure, business logic for APIs or tooling to help debug mission critical applications
- Experience building and debugging high traffic messaging applications
- Excellent experience debugging and scaling production infrastructure and services
- Experience with Linux and Docker
- Understanding of AWS infrastructure or similar public cloud providers
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Mentored and led a team of engineers executing medium to large scale projects
- Pioneered and established engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Strong technical and leadership chops - Led technical decisions for your team and influenced technical decisions across your functional domains. Led initiatives/projects that enforce operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response.
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Thrive on solving complex problems, and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience building and managing Devops infrastructure
- A+ level debugging skills on production systems
- On call experience debugging mission critical systems
- Experience with billing and payments systems
This role will be remote in the US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,000 - $200,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.