Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Remote First in Colombia
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to work on the design and implementation phases of cloud-based distributed systems built to seamlessly scale to several million transactions per day.
As a Software Engineer (L3) in the Account Security team, you will work on the design and implementation phases of cloud-based distributed systems built to seamlessly scale to several million transactions per day. Not only will you be responsible for tackling some of the most sophisticated and exciting technical problems in the industry, you will also be sharing your technical expertise with other engineers and leading them through an accelerated learning process.
You are intrigued by the intersection of the cloud, telecommunications and security spaces, how to harness the power of Data to enable millions of consumers to prevent fraud and securely sign up and sign in every day using the services from the global brands they trust. You enjoy the challenge of owning a critical service and engineering it to work optimally in any circumstance.
You are accountable for your decisions and possess a high level of ownership over the products you are delivering. You feel frustrated when things go wrong and take proactive actions to prevent the next failure to happen.
You are also passionate about collaborating with multiple R&D and product teams, crafting together microservices and APIs that developers around the world will use to deliver new applications. You have strong communication skills, and a belief that team output is more important than individual output.
You have 5+ years of hands on experience with:
- Working in a Java development environment
- Designing and developing horizontally-scalable and resilient systems
- Building scalable data pipelines (e.g. with Kafka, Kinesis, RabbitMQ)
- SQL/NoSQL technology such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, DynamoDB understanding common use cases and performance pitfalls.
- concepts such as DDD, SOLID, Design Patterns distributed systems and architecture. Capable of understanding pitfalls and anticipating common failure modes of a microservice environment
Be An Owner, Ruthlessly Prioritize, Wear the Customer Shoes
- Influence product roadmap,bringing technical insight about customer impact, risks, feasibility and architectural debts
- Take full end-to-end ownership of your services, from designing to operations and monitoring in production.
- Drive architecture and build systems for multiple orders of magnitude of growth. Every big idea starts small: open up the boundaries and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results.
- Conceive, design, and build infrastructure tooling that improves reliability across the entire product surface area, dealing with massive distributed scale
- Be a technical reference for other members of your team as well as surrounding teams.
- Think of initiatives to raise the bar on our engineering practices
Write it Down
- Draft technical proposals creating comprehensive business and architectural diagrams, leveraging technical feasibility and cost tradeoffs of solutions
- Reason about maintainability, availability, reliability, scalability and performance of complex distributed systems
- Review proposals of other members of your team as well as other teams of the organization providing technical guidance
Drawl the Owl, Be Bold, Don't Settle
- Influence teams to continuously be improving while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our quality, reliability and security to continuously earn our customers trust.
Account Security Engineering is the founding team of our Bogota office. Our developers build the leading Twilio Verify service used by millions of customers around the world. Every day we push the boundaries of web-scale service delivery, operating with utmost reliability the API services that secure the online presence of the biggest brands. We are passionate about crafting simple APIs that developers will love.
By joining us you will have the opportunity to work with a team of forward-thinking and supportive professionals who will care about helping you on a successful career path.Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in either a remote location in Colombia or in our Bogota, Colombia office. With the latter, you will enjoy our perks: catered meals, snacks, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Invest in weeks dedicated to taking on hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.