Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
It’s time to build! Twilio's CIAO team (Cloud Insights and Optimizations) team is looking for an Engineer Manager to empower Twilions to optimize our public cloud infrastructure usage without sacrificing Twilio’s customer’s trust. This person will guide a team of Engineers to build tools to help realize this vision. Team will be responsible for providing insights into infrastructure spend, efficiency, tagging, taxonomy, automating discovery & actions for recurring wastage patterns across all cloud services like Amazon Web Services (AWS) & Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Working alongside technical leads, product managers, and architect peers, this person will ensure development teams follow consistent standards and will act as an advocate of reliability and efficiency.
Twilio is looking for a technical leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of driving multi-functional technical initiatives. They also have:
- 5+ years of experience including 2+ years leading a team in a DevOps/SRE environment.
- Strong preference for someone with prior exposure to service oriented architectures, microservices or REST APIs and cloud computing
- Have the technical ability to understand the software development lifecycle, collaborating with other engineers in a fast-paced and diverse environment.
- Understands the pros and cons of technologies and is open to making pragmatic, practical choices.
- Experience guiding a technical vision within an engineering team and motivating progress towards work you're doing
- Comfort with ambiguity, breaking down complex issues into manageable plans
- A passion for technology, keeping an eye towards the latest trends
- Proficiency in one programming language and exposure to a few others.
- Experience with the Cloud, NoSQL, APIs, monitoring and instrumentation of distributed systems is a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You do your best work when your team is motivated towards a shared goal. You know that delegating responsibility leads a clear path to ownership and purpose.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ensure team decisions, roadmaps, plans, and designs are documented and shared with appropriate partners.
- DRAW THE OWL: You will partner with other Platform Engineering teams to deliver the future of Twilio’s FinOps, modernizing technologies while creating a clear path for migration.
- DON’T SETTLE: Break down silos that impact team, partner and organizational effectiveness. Resolve barriers to effective multi-functional teamwork quickly and effectively.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio and Platform Engineering understanding and embracing the unique aspects of our global development organization.
- BE BOLD: Navigate the broader team through change initiatives. Clearly outline your vision and define the desired outcomes to your peers and leaders.
Every business with a presence in the cloud needs to have a Cloud Center of Excellence (CCoE) – a team that is tasked with the responsibility of developing a framework for business’s cloud operations. One of the most important roles of the team is governing the infrastructure spend and building out standard methodologies throughout the business to optimize cost.
CIAO (Cloud Insights and Optimizations) team at Twilio implements key functions of CCoE by empowering Twilions with tools to provide visibility/governance into their spend, infrastructure efficiency, tagging methodology for infrastructure, automation of discovery and actions for recurring wastage patterns and evangelizes standard methodologies to create efficient micro-services in the cloud.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be in Bogota, South America. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.