Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a hardworking Engineering Manager to join the Twilio Studio backend engineering team that designs and deploy scalable customer communications. You would manage and grow this powerful engineering team to help Studio services/APIS at scale with best software engineering practices. You are probably a good fit if you enable and empower your engineering team, be deeply passionate about developing engineers, comfortable with ambiguity and enjoy building relationships with your counterparts.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading engineering teams. They also will:
- Experience in mentoring, coaching and developing software engineers
- Enthusiasm for software engineering with focus on back-end engineering
- Experience with cloud based native development preferably AWS
- Experience in managing teams with Java, RESTful APIs, CI/CD and Microservices at scale
- A history of working on highly scalable distributed systems with a focus on operational excellence
- Ability to intelligently prioritize a technical roadmap with a focus on delivering incremental customer value
- Experience in agile processes and standard methodologies
- Strong communication skills: in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support members
- Be a strategic problem solver and thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services
- Distill complex and ambiguous situations into meaningful plans for your team
- 5+ years relevant work experience, or a degree supplemented with relevant experience in the field.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and grow a team of passionate engineers as they grow and deliver the Twilio Studio roadmap. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability in delivering software changes. Work closely with other teams to drive and adopt emerging standard methodologies and technologies to deliver on the promise of our Studio
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to engineers while guiding them to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their goals and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- BE BOLD: Be hands-on with the engineering team - seeking out best practices and challenging the team’s decisions and designs.
- DON’T SETTLE: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Be intellectually honest when evaluating tools, conducting due diligence, and deciding development strategy and execution within your team.
Twilo Studio lies at the heart of Twilio's strategic priorities. In this role you would influence Twilio’s newest and fastest growing product. You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This is a remote position that can be located anywhere (tier 3+) within the United States. But if you join us full time in our offices, you will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, and more. With Twilio you will also get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $201,080
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks