Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking a Product Manager for our award-winning Developer Education team who will help us achieve our mission: to challenge and empower developers to build the future of communications. Twilio has dozens of products and services that are used worldwide. The opportunity is to design a platform not only for our products today, but one that can scale to serve millions of creators tomorrow.
In this role, you’ll build tools and ship features that enable our Developer Educators to publish code samples, tools and documentation for any developer building with Twilio. A key part of this role is to own, measure and improve the learning experience and information architecture across the twilio.com/docs web property. You’ll have a dedicated engineering team to execute on your vision and partner closely with others across Product and Brand to deliver it harmoniously. This role will report into the Director of Developer Education on our Developer Network organization.
Twilio is looking for an ideal candidate with the following:
- 4+ years experience as a product manager for web applications, content management systems (CMS), or developer tools
- 3+ years of experience working with data analytics to quantify impact and identify platform pain points. Python coding experience preferred
- Proven experience working cross-functionally and leading through influence, not necessarily through authority
- Excellent written communication skills for a variety audiences with a wide range of skill levels and technical backgrounds
- Experience shipping products in a fast moving environment with a heavy dose of ambiguity
- A belief in the power of platforms. You are motivated by making other people successful and love teaching others the joys of computer programming
- Experience managing products acquired through M&A is a plus
We are seeking a Product Manager who lives the Twilio Magic.
- BE AN OWNER: Own the vision, roadmap, and execution of the twilio.com/docs web property, Twilio sample code, and experimental low-code or no-code tools used to teach developers how to build with Twilio
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: One needs to understand and build empathy with Twilio’s extensive base of developers, customers and diverse personas. Perform primary and secondary user research, periodically conduct surveys, and author competitive analyses to continuously improve the learning experience.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Embed yourself in your web engineering team, giving them guidance as they build and ship features on your roadmap. Your partners aren’t only Twilio’s customers, but also the Developer Educators who create the content. Understand their point of view.
- DON’T SETTLE: Define KPIs and continuously measure the platform’s success. Address pain-points with data to back up what is happening and why.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Understand the requirements of our various product teams and _their_ customers, ensuring our Educational Platform supports their needs. Know when to make tradeoffs and communicate those clearly
- WRITE IT DOWN: A great Product Manager not only writes down specifications, they strive for operational excellence. Make process improvements and write down your methodology.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Twilio is a leader in API documentation. Identify features in our platform that we should contribute to the open-source community. Amplify the impact by partnering with marketing to get the word out.
The Product Manager owns not only the Educational Platform, but also the educational experience developers have when learning about Twilio. A phenomenal experience minimizes the “time to magic” as a junior developer learns about Twilio for the first time. And that same experience also empowers teams at the largest companies in the world to confidently deploy extensive web-scale applications. This is your opportunity to leave your mark on the web development industry: inspiring developers at any stage of their journey to love programming and unlock their potential.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Tell us what makes you unique!
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Our entire developer marketing organization has a strong remote culture and is remote by default. Most of the people you work with will not be based in a Twilio office. We also, however, believe in the importance of meeting in person a few times a year. For this role we also believe some occasional time in the field at a community event is a useful experience. Between those two activities, you should expect to travel 3-5 times a year (once COVID-19 is behind us)
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.