Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. who want to design, develop, deploy and operate software solutions and help Twilio deliver real-time, low latency capabilities for next-generation communications. This role will be with the Twilio AI team. You will design, develop, deploy and operate services at scale to power Twilio’s next generation products.
We are looking for engineers who are eager to learn and like to think at scale and meet high availability goals, bringing a focus to solving resiliency, latency and quality challenges in our virtualized cloud environment.
Twilio is looking for a Backend Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building highly scalable products while working with complex distributed systems. They also have:
- 5+ years of experience with building, maintaining and scaling backend services preferably in Java or Python.
- Any experience with NoSQL databases.
- Experience with cloud platforms.
- Prior exposure to micro service architectures.
- Experience with build patterns from architecture to automated build and test pipelines
- Strong cross-team communication skills. You work with your team towards common goals.
- Collaborate with other engineers in a fast-paced and diverse environment.
As a Backend Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES & DON’T SETTLE: You will drive great developer experiences for developers worldwide.
- EMPOWER OTHERS & NO SHENANIGANS: You will collaborate with other Twilio AI teams based in San Francisco, Austin, Madrid and Prague and other Twilio teams that are globally distributed.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & WRITE IT DOWN: You will work directly with engineering teams and with members of the product organization, architects and external partners to distill product requirements and customer use cases into architecture, technical design, and code.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Customer conversations are one of the most informative indicators of a product and business’ health. They cover every time a customer is delighted, frustrated, buying more, closing their account, needing help, etc. But usually those conversations are trapped away in a black box, analyzed only by listening to them one by one, or with basic keyword search capabilities.
The Twilio AI team is building a platform that uses machine learning to transcribe, categorize, and extract meaning out of customer conversations so companies can evaluate every one of them and build workflows that automate actions, like prioritizing high value leads to follow up on or identifying customers likely to churn. Our goal is to help companies power more effective business processes and better customer engagement, by understanding the meaning in every conversation.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We are a team that believes in remote working and remote-friendly practices, and we are distributed across three continents. This position can be located anywhere in Canada, either remote or (post-COVID) in one of Twilio's offices . What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.