Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is rapidly growing and seeking a Data Engineer to play an instrumental role in our transition to a modern data infrastructure and data governance strategy. This person will be responsible for finding trends in data sets and developing methodology to help make raw data more useful to our Analytics team. If you enjoy puzzles, creative thinking, and solving challenges with code, this is the right role for you.
The role requires strong leadership, analytical, hands-on technical capability. This person should thrive in managing concurrent projects while working cross functionally with our People Analytics and Business Intelligence team to build and maintain our data warehouse. We need someone who enjoys operating in ambiguity and uses creativity to combat challenges with an inherent curiosity about solving problems.
Twilio is looking for a Data Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has the skills required to manipulate and shape data quickly and design ETL processes that scale. This role will work internally with the Talent Acquisition team to design, build, and maintain our data architecture. They also have:
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ pipelines, architecture, schema design, and row-level security.
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with designing and building Tableau Dashboards & Data Sources
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, such as Snowflake, Redshift, Postgres and Presto.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools, such as Airflow, Azkaban, Oozie, Luigi, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
As a Data Engineer in Talent Acquisition, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Write it down: Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management. Keep our data separated and secure across our internal and external infrastructure.
- Draw the owl: Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, AWS, Snowflake, and Workday. Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipelines to provide actionable insights into talent acquisition, talent retention and other key performance metrics.
- Be an owner & Be bold: Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.. Manage multiple concurrent projects that require inputs from cross-functional stakeholders while balancing impact on business needs.
- Empower others: Interact extensively across all functional teams and have significant exposure to our executive leadership. Analyze internal HR data and provide key findings to stakeholders.
- No shenanigans: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in data analysis, data quality, and presentation.
The Talent Analytics team is central to Twilio's talent recruiting strategy and growth. We work closely with senior leadership to guide recruiting strategy and programs. We lead all aspects of identifying, evaluating, and presenting key insights that tell the story behind the numbers, our employee experience, and key drivers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $120,832 - $151,040
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $105,728 - $132,160
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks