Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Engineering for the Flex R&D Business Unit working with our Studio product. This role requires an adaptable and skilled leader able to shepherd growth and direction for our low-code workflow platform, Studio. The successful candidate will need tremendous technical depth and managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and the scale at which we’re currently operating. They must be passionate about building teams, multiplying technical leaders, and collaboration, understanding that everyone in the room has a voice, and that more diverse voices make better teams. This is a full stack position, and a balance between frontend and backend technology leadership experience will be critical.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in SaaS software companies.
- You are an adaptive leader that easily tailors goals and outcomes to the situation at hand.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization bringing together disparate teams, setting expectations and driving for success.
- Coach and Advocate -- you are passionate about developing engineering leaders within your organization and providing an environment for learning and growth.
- Connector -- you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations.
- Agent of Change -- you demonstrate your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build.
- Problem Solver -- you utilize your experience and versatile leadership approaches to bring people together and drive problems to resolution.
- You are familiar with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into measurable plans for your team
- You believe in building a culture of learning and teaching across all teams.
- You have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and communicate at all levels of an organization.
- BS in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- Lead strategy planning and design sessions with Product Management, Architecture, Business and Operations partners to create a shared vision and technical roadmap.
- Some (up to 25%) travel likely required in the future.
- BE AN OWNER: Instill our values, behaviors and standard methodologies throughout the organization to grow the capabilities of our engineering teams.
- NO SHENANIGANS: You always act in an honest, direct and transparent way and uphold our values.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: It is key for you to understand, document and define risks that drive enhance the organization's ability to prioritize while informing the business of these priorities.
- BE BOLD: Every big idea starts small, open up boundaries and keep raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Coach, mentor and inspire engineering teams by building and ensuring a safe and inclusive environment where all voices can be heard.
- DRAW THE OWL: Influence teams to continuously be improving while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- DON’T SETTLE: Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our delivery capabilities
Twilio Studio is our low-code visual application platform for building communication workflows. It's the fastest way to build and scale applications like IVRs and chatbots on Twilio today. Because it is a visual tool and requires very little code, Studio not only accelerates professional developers to build quickly, but also enables "citizen developers" to directly implement their use cases without a development team. Twilio is a developer-first platform, and Studio is part of a larger industry trend that is helping to change the very definition of a developer to include anyone who has the builder attitude. In this role, you'll help define the tools that enable builders of all types to be successful with Twilio and support the expansion of additional low-code and automation tools.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$177,024 - $221,280
Rest of Colorado:
$165,960 - $207,450
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks