Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why, and Where
The Personas organization within Twilio is looking for an engineering leader passionate about creating high-quality, modern solutions to complex engineering problems. The Profiles team designs and builds pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of customer events per second, manage real-time identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading and growing a team of talented engineers to deliver on the Profiles vision and roadmap. You will also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the team's technical decisions to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
We are looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working in a fast-paced and iterative environment. They also have:
- 5+ years of experience as an engineering leader of a healthy and high-performing engineering team
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Detailed knowledge, and hands-on expertise in distributed systems and data-intensive applications
- Experience in leading cross-functional engineering teams to deliver essential business outcomes
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms
- Strong execution mindset with a vision to evolve the platform
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- CS, EE, or CE degree and a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- You will be driving the engineering roadmap and execution of the Profiles team within the Personas Platform organization.
- Opportunity to hire, help to shape the charter/roadmap and grow the team
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Continuously deliver value to customers.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide the team through Agile methodologies and grow employees' career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with product development leaders to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt. You will break down roadblocks, manage communications with stakeholders and dependent teams, and create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders by instituting development best practices. This ensures the team produces high-quality, well-architected, and supportable code through a continuous delivery model
- BE AN OWNER: Own, operate and maintain your team's services with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process for the team.
- DON'T SETTLE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruit and motivate top talent
Personas Profiles is the cornerstone of the new features being envisioned and shipped to customers. We need to unlock the next order of magnitude of scale and set ourselves up as a platform to support a growing number of features without linearly growing in complexity. Personas is at the beginning of a new iteration. It is transforming from a side-pipeline to a standalone platform with Profiles at its core.
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment's pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, real-time and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We've since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real-time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real-time personalization.
This position is open for remote locations anywhere in the USA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$160,896 - $221,232
Rest of Colorado:
$140,784 - $211,176
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks