Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Scientist, Information Governance to be a key technologist in proactively preparing for rising regulatory policies and rethinking user privacy in the age of cloud applications and distributed systems. The person in this role will lead predictive data analytics, modeling (NLP, Neutral Network, and supervised learning), and insight-driven system implementation and process design in all aspects of Information Governance. Reporting to the Director of Information Policy Management, this position is critical in helping Twilio solve challenges caused by a wave of data proliferation and fragmentation and gain control and visibility into sensitive and distributed data. We are looking for creativity balanced with usability, friction, and user experience.
Twilio is looking for a data analytics leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of delivering APIs or internal tools, or features that balance functionality, user experience, and business needs. They also have:
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in big data engineering and or software engineering
- Strong communication and data presentation skills, experience analyzing data and communicating results and crafting actionable insights.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, building and maintaining trust.
- Strong SQL skills - hands on use of data at scale.
- Proven experience of using R , Python, Jupyter to develop solutions.
- Solid understanding of the Twilio ecosystem.
- Proven ability to solve complex quantitative business challenges; experience in the development and measurement of multi-variant testing is a plus.
- MS/BS in Computer Science, or related technical subject area.
As a Data Scientist, you will model, predict, design, and implement controls for fine-grained data access, support the development of security products and integration with Twilio data infrastructure and platform. You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop iterative analytical models that identify unions of users and what data they can access based on classification, user intent and results of NLP modeling.
- DRAW THE OWL: Build analytics to measure security policy behaviors, identify trends and anomalies, and identify gaps. Recommend and develop technology stack to automate analysis and develop durable ML software.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Perform K-means clustering, feature extraction and supervised learning for policy behaviors. Define models for NLP that translate legal syntax, semantics and summarization into security controls. Develop reporting and insights intended to show compliance with policy directives.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Partnering with our Product Engineering teams to incorporate NLP translation capabilities into Twilio offerings. Knowledge sharing through presentations at regional, channel and business wide events, as well as building relationships with analytics teams across the group.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensuring insights are both actionable and measurable and you should be able to build these insights and hypotheses with awareness of practical implementation and implications for the business.
The Information Policy Management team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We focus on building both the user-facing features and internal services that provide our user choices around their data, build trust by managing data risks, advance data privacy and security, and enable our business by unlocking revenue opportunities. We work closely with senior leadership and product teams to ensure consumer privacy and data protection through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, policy, and transparent communications.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Twilio has a distributed and remote-friendly office structure, thus the location of this position will be flexible. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Tier 4 base salary range: $109,800 - $151,000
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: $96,096 - $132,132
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks