Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio IoT/Wireless is the IoT business unit at Twilio. The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud API’s and with on-demand global reach. Twilio abstracts away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world. Twilio IoT/Wireless aims to do the same for IoT Connectivity, enabling our customers to quickly integrate Wireless connectivity into their IoT products.
As the Console Manager in the IoT/Wireless organization, you will lead the engineering team that builds the Web UI (Console) for the IoT Business unit. The IoT Console team is responsible for products that enable Twilio's IoT customers to manage their device connectivity, infrastructure and costs. The console helps our IoT customers to manage fleets of devices around the globe, their connectivity to different networks and gives them insights and controls to manage costs.It is built on React and other open-source frameworks.
Twilio is looking for an engineering manager who lives the Twilio Magic:
- You will lead a small team of engineers who are based in the US time zones.
- You have 3+ years of people management experience leading distributed teams of 5 or more. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally, you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum five years hands-on experience developing or testing software. Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment is highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
- BE AN OWNER: Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers through their journey to Agile Maturity. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- DRAW THE OWL: Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- DON'T SETTLE: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. We do that by focusing relentlessly on building the most robust, programmable, customer-centric communications platform on the planet. The Twilio platform reaches more than two million developers globally.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will initially (until at least August 2021) be remote, but will eventually be based out of the Twilio Berlin office. Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture to empower everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.