Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. The Twilio Super Network simplifies, strengthens and unites carrier communication networks using software. We are looking for an experienced, hardworking Software Engineer who is excited at the opportunity to join a world-class Super Network Cost Engineering team based in Tallinn, Estonia, to tackle some of the hardest engineering problems at Twilio. The team builds and maintains carrier cost tracking systems that help Super Network control and optimize its expenditures!
Twilio is seeking for an engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has:
- 4+ years of software development experience in Scala or Java.
- Experience in at least one of the cloud platforms - AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Proficiency in building and running resilient and scalable back-end services in a production environment.
- 2+ years of experience in data streaming and/or analytics technologies like Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, Flink, KSQL, Elasticsearch or others.
- Passion about code quality and software development standard methodologies and the desire to ship products using continuous integration, continuous delivery and test automation.
- Experience building RESTful APIs.
- Experience with crafting clear and concise documentation.
- Passion about working in a collaborative fashion with different partners such as product, architecture etc.
- Interest in or experience with communications, telephony systems, and finance as a plus.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will:
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: Work in a small, high-impact, hardworking, diverse engineering team.
- DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with your Tech Lead and other Software Engineers to solve complex problems in distributed computing.
- BE AN OWNER: Build and operate your team's services in a distributed production environment in the DevOps model & Ensure quality by writing unit, integration, and load tests.
- DON’T SETTLE & RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Apply Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to the customers.
For the last ten years, the Twilio Super Network group has been hard at work building an Intelligent and Resilient Global Infrastructure to reach anyone in the world over SMS or a voice call through one provider, at any scale. There are hundreds of millions of messages and calls going through the Super Network platform and the telecom carriers connected to it. These transactions are Twilio’s major source of revenue and its biggest expense. Our team builds and maintains carrier cost tracking systems that help Super Network control and optimize these expenditures.
To be able to process and enrich this enormous amount of complex business data in a scalable, flexible, and resilient way and achieve the most accurate outcome, we use Spark as the our core distributed computing engine, Kafka as the asynchronous data pipeline and combine multiple data sources depending on our need - MySQL, ElasticSearch, S3, and Presto.
Most of us were Java developers prior to joining Twilio, but have quickly transitioned to our now preferred language, Scala.We are the first and so far the only Twilio engineering team outside of the US to receive an Iron Owl - Twilio’s internal award for reaching the highest bar of operational and engineering excellence for a service. Also, we’re not afraid to crack a joke or two once in a while.
To sum it all up, if you choose to join our team you’ll get a unique chance to work and learn from the best engineers in an environment that is as challenging as it is friendly and comfortable.
Twilio is truly outstanding; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and crafting your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, belonging and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.