Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join Twilio’s Messaging team and design product experiences for Twilio’s growing Messaging product suite. As part of this team, you will help design tools and products for some of Twilio’s largest customers, discovering, defining, and designing experiences that enable and empower their communications. The ideal candidate will be able to think holistically about design across complex architecture, and take a human-centered approach with a systems-level mindset to design, build and iterate engaging enterprise interfaces that scale with large data sets while maintaining simplicity.
Twilio is seeking a Product Designer with:
- Experience designing and iterating enterprise or communication applications across multiple display platforms (desktop, mobile, responsive web).
- Solid understanding of technical product thinking and user-centered design methodologies.
- Experience working with quantitative and qualitative research including usability testing, analysis, interviews, and field studies.
- A nimble, flexible approach to working with shifting requirements and evolving customers.
- Good communication and organization skills, and advocacy for design methodologies and processes.
- Solid ability to present work, defend decisions and point of view, and participate in critique gracefully.
- A robust workflow that comprises: design, prototyping, presentation, sharing and soliciting feedback, and handoff to developers.
- Understand and able to work within technical constraints, business requirements and tight deadlines.
- Fluency in current software development tooling and production environments including Sketch, Abstract, InVision, and JIRA.
- At least 4 years of industry experience and a related degree or equivalent experience in software interface design and/or development.
As a Designer on the Messaging team, your responsibilities will include:
- BE AN OWNER: Own and advance design direction and decisions for Messaging products across multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, responsive web).
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaboration with multidisciplinary teams across the company to design new products and improve existing ones.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Define, design, review, test and specify interfaces, components, systems, frameworks and tools for developer experiences using participatory and iterative design techniques including user research, agile design iteration, rapid prototyping, and usability testing.
- DRAW THE OWL: Distilling complex and sometimes vague technical requirements into intuitive user interfaces.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Working closely with Product and Engineering teams, in an agile environment, to build efficient interface solutions within technical & time constraints.
- DON'T SETTLE: Collaborating with other Product Designers and participating in Design Critiques to ensure consistency across Twilio products.
- WEAR CUSTOMER SHOES: Engaging with our developer community to understand their needs and design products and workflows to unlock their potential.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Regularly use, improve, and contribute to Twilio’s Console Design System.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Presenting designs to stakeholders at various stages throughout the design process.
Consumers have spoken, and the overwhelming majority prefer to use messaging to communicate, whether it’s via SMS, chat, or using apps like Facebook Messenger or Line. These emerging communication channels pose significant challenges to businesses as they begin to adopt this growing trend of always-on, multi-channel, asynchronous communication. In this role, you will observe these challenges first hand and design the next generation of Messaging APIs and products to overcome them and make our customers successful.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. The Product Design team plays a critical role in designing the experience that allow our developer community to meet their communication needs. As a Product Designer at Twilio, you will be a part of a growing and diverse group of designers, helping to build and shape our design culture and principles.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.