Hej, Truecaller is calling you from Stockholm, Sweden! Ready to pick up?
Truecaller transformed how we communicate when we launched in 2009 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Our mission is to build trust everywhere by making communication smarter, safer and more efficient. We focus on bringing smart services with big social impacts, like protecting people from fraud, harassment, and scam calls or messages. We identify new numbers from anywhere in the world and build a space for trustworthy conversations, for those that matter. Truecaller is loved by over 280 million people around the world and is growing very rapidly across regions.
Who we are:
- The world’s #1 caller ID and spam blocking service for Android and iOS.
- A team of +200 people from ~35 different nationalities, spread across our headquarters in Stockholm and offices in Bangalore, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Nairobi.
- Backed by some of the most prominent investors in the world such as Sequoia Capital, Atomico, and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
The Chief Scientist (CS) is a leader in the scientific area of an organisation and is responsible for a range of data-driven functions, including overseeing data management, creating data strategy, and improving data quality. In addition, the CS helps the organisation extract the most valuable and relevant insights from their data and provides direction on leveraging data analytics and business intelligence.
The CS is responsible for envisioning and executing strategies to improve the business’s performance by enabling informed decision-making. In addition, the CS oversees the activities of all the data experts, ensuring sound execution and alignment with the business’s overall vision. Thus, the CS acts as the link between data scientists across the company and the management level, proactively engaging with business executives and business unit heads to coordinate and drive innovative and complex analytical models.
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
The essential responsibility of the CS is to promote and grow innovation within the business: this involves identifying and monitoring key business risks and acting upon the data needs of the company. A further key element is educating the company on the vision and use-cases for advanced analytics, serving as a trusted advisor to the executive leadership.
Additionally, the CS
- Plays a strategic role in continuously improving the business’s data-driven activities;
- Creates industry-leading performance through the leveraging of new and creative data solutions;
- Designs and oversees machine-learning innovation to support the business’s numerous initiatives and programs with a view of achieving overall objectives and targets;
- Is responsible for hiring and managing a team of data scientists to set up a base research function and overseeing all activities to ensure alignment with departmental and business-wide vision and strategies;
- Plays a mentorship role to data science positions and guides professional growth as well as the execution of their duties;
- Close collaboration with the data platform and data engineering teams is an essential aspect of the role. As such, the CS is involved in the creation of big data applications through the utilisation of structured and unstructured data and designing optimal data architecture to aid advanced analysis;
- Takes the initiative and performs exploratory data analysis and experimental designs, which will help the business better understand trends and behaviour within its markets and settle on the most suitable strategies regarding goals and targets.
The CS reports to the CTO, performs similar duties as they deem fit for the proper execution of their role, and tasks delegated by the CTO or other senior executives as appropriate.
What do we expect from you
- The CS has to hold a degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, or any other related quantitative field (preferably a PhD) or have developed equivalent experience.
- At least 5+ years of working experience in a data science position, preferably at a senior level.
- 4+ Years of experience in managing and leading highly performant data teams, evidenced by positively and measurably impacting the business utilising advanced quantitative analyses and statistical modelling.
- Extensive experience with cloud technologies and big data frameworks.
- Proficient in SQL and at least one of the programming languages relevant for data science activities (e.g. Python, Scala, R).
- The CS is highly adept at taking the role of an intermediary between business interests and the data discipline and hence can ensure proper execution of duties by data experts and negotiate priorities accordingly.
- The CS has experience communicating with senior stakeholders and providing timely and informative reports and presentations to senior management and executives for decision-making and strategy development.
It would be great if you also have the ability to form strong, lasting, and meaningful bonds and are approachable, trustworthy, and inspirational. In addition, such a person demonstrates calmness in times of uncertainty and enjoys the trust of senior data experts and stakeholders, facilitating the execution of their duties.
Life at Truecaller - Behind the code: https://www.instagram.com/lifeattruecaller/
Sounds like your dream job?
We will fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate, so please send your application as soon as possible. We are excited to hear from you, don’t hesitate to apply!
This position is based in Stockholm, Sweden. We provide full visa sponsorship and relocation assistance for eligible candidates.
We only accept applications in English.
What we offer
- An international team - ~35 nationalities are working together!
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- Learning & sharing environment
- Flexible working hours
- Exciting company parties & team activities – Running team, Geek lunch!
- Start the day with fresh fruit and cereals.
- Stay refreshed: get juice, tea, coffee, and soft drinks
Truecaller is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity within the company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or marital status.