Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Research & Design Teams
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, writers, and analysts working closely with engineers and product managers to discover, evaluate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About The Role
During this 12 week summer internship at Thumbtack, you will collaborate with a mentor on the experience research team on several high-impact research projects. You will be embedded within product teams and serve as an advocate for the needs of customers and Pros alike. With your mentor you will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions.
- Conduct research from strategic discovery about user needs to tactical evaluations of design decisions.
- Synthesize and analyze qualitative and quantitative data to generate insights and provide clear and concise design recommendations.
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Work collaboratively within the research team to improve our team’s processes (including recruiting participants, setting up studies, collecting data, processing results, and sharing out findings)
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Curiosity, empathy, and desire to see your research have an impact
- Experience conducting qualitative or quantitative research, including unbiased data collection and analysis
- Pursuing a full-time degree (BS/BA, MS/MA/MBA, or PhD) in a field dedicated to either understanding some aspect of human behavior and/or creating intuitive interfaces between humans and technology.
- Graduating between Spring 2020 and Spring 2021
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Structured and rigorous decision making abilities
- A collection of work samples with at least three projects that showcase your research process*
*About the work samples:
Your work samples could be a website, a written document, or a simple presentation. You may show projects done for a client, in-house for a company, academic research, or class projects. Each project must clearly show your role, the question(s) you were trying to answer, the research methods you chose and why, and the recommendations you made as a result of your research. Do not submit a cover letter in addition to your work samples.
- Understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them depending on the goals of your research
- Experience setting up and running research studies or experiments
- Experience visualizing ideas and concepts (e.g. sketching, digital design, physical building)
- Relevant internship experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.