Are you ready to write your next chapter with us?
About the Company:
The Baltimore Banner is a nonprofit newsroom founded to bring high-quality local journalism to the Baltimore metro area. We are creating a vibrant, strong, trustworthy and sustainable news organization, seeking to re-imagine the future of local news. Using a multi-platform news operation, covering a broad range of topics from local government to culture and the arts. We tell stories that reflect the community, connecting neighbors, holding government institutions accountable and making sense of the world. All this work is grounded in truth. We believe we can contribute to a more vibrant, informed, and whole Baltimore, surrounding counties and state of Maryland.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is looking to hire an express desk editor to shape our daily news coverage, focusing on finding the latest breaking and trending stories. The editor will work with another express desk editor to lead a team of reporters that will produce in many cases our most read content each day. The ideal candidate will have a sharp eye for interesting stories and be able to use metrics and analytics to help drive coverage that will most engage readers. The editor also will help reporters comb social media and the Internet to spot interesting news and be able to write pithy headlines that entice people to click on stories.
The express desk editor should be versatile and able to cover a wide range of topics that incorporate different story formats for a digital audience. The ideal candidate will be a quick study who can make sure reporters write stories with context and sweep. We want to do more than tell readers what is happening in the news; but also tell them what it means.
The express desk editor should thrive in breaking news situations, be able to quickly edit stories and post them online and work with editors to update them throughout the day. This editor should thrive off the adrenaline created by breaking news. Ideal candidates should also have strong managerial experience.
- Edit stories of the day quickly ensuring accuracy, context, and sweep
- Wade through social media to find the most interesting stories and tidbits of the day
- Use digital publishing, analytics to help drive coverage
- Work with reporters to write clear, compelling and interesting stories on deadline, but know when a story needs extra time
- Coordinate collaboration with reporters across the newsroom
- Ensure express desk reporters are balancing breaking news with enterprise ideas
- Work across social media platforms to connect readers with our content
- Generate innovative ideas for audience growth
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to help hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in journalism
- Managerial experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong editing skills and ability to quickly make complex topics understandable
- A strong instinct for news
- Digital savvy and a familiarity with audience analytics
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Enthusiasm for news and content that will resonate with readers
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong people skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics